Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Diabetes Diabetes facts and the differences between the different types.
- Diabetic Hyperlipidemia Get all of the facts about diabetic hyperlipidemia.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- High Blood Pressure Facts about high blood pressure; its causes and complications.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Lewis Blevins Jr
Dr. Lewis Blevins Jr, MD is a Doctor primarily located in San Francisco, CA. He has 26 years of experience. His specialties include Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism and Internal Medicine. Dr. Blevins is affiliated with UCSF Medical Center / Moffitt-Long Hospitals, Ucsf/Mount Zion and Medical Center At Ucsf. He speaks English.
Dr. Lewis Blevins Jr has the following 2 specialties
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
An endocrinologist is a physician with extensive training in understanding, diagnosing and treating conditions related to the endocrine system. The endocrine system regulates the balance of hormones.
Conditions of the endocrine system involve an over-abundance, or deficiency of a certain hormone. While there is a range when it comes to the amount of a hormone that is deemed normal in a human, these specialists determine whether a person's amount of hormone is indicative of a health concern. Two conditions this specialist might treat are diabetes and obesity.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Adrenal Insufficiency
- Cushing Syndrome
- Diabetes Insipidus
- Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1
- Diabetes, Type 2
- Pituitary Gland Cancer
- Pituitary Gland Tumor (Prolactinoma)
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 17
Biggest ego, just looking for big/good cases to get the credit. I was told by a local doctor I had a pituitary tumor so I sent Dr. Blevins my records. His office called within in a week and said the doctor thought I needed an in office consult. I made it clear I was several states away and travel would be difficult physically and financially, but they called back and said to come. The morning of my appt we ate by the hospital and Dr. Blevins sat right next to us! It sounded like he was doing a casual interview, he talked about how important it was to listen to the patient and all the details. My nerves calmed just listening to him talk (nosey I know), he bragged about some cases but at that point I was impressed. Then I met him at my appt. He spent maybe 10 minutes in the room, said I needed more tests done my local doctor could handle, didn't answer one of my questions, gave me a prescription and said I didnt need to see him again and left me in tears. Worst experience of my life. I went looking for answers regarding a possible brain tumor and was treated like I couldn't be less important. It was devastating. He must have some connections to keep his job with that bedside manner.
nobody could diagnose me with cushing's disease! i went from endo m.d. to endo m.d.! they gave up on me. i heard of dr. blevins at vanderbilt medical center in nashville, tenn. i called randy, his assistant. it was 9:00 a.m. in the morning. dr. blevins told him "..tell mr. dean i will see him if he can get to nashville by 1:00.."! i had an old car! i told randy "..i can't get there with this car..". i was given an appointment. i saw dr. blevins. i know genius when i see it. it is rare. so is dr. blevins. walk, run, drive, fly, to see this man if you have pituitary disease!!
Dr. Blevins is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
UCSF Medical Center / Moffitt-Long Hospitals
Medical Center At Ucsf
26 Years Experience
East Tennessee State University
Graduated in 1987
Dr. Lewis Blevins Jr accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Basic HMO
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Aetna Vitalidad Plus CA con Aetna
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus Savenet
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA Local Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Local Access + HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Trio ACO HMO
- First Health PPO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net SmartCare Large Group
- Humana Choice POS
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- PHCS PPO Kaiser
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsUCSF Medical Center at Parnassus, 400 Parnassus Ave, San Francisco, CA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Lewis Blevins Jr in this video.
Dr. Lewis Blevins Jr is similar to the following 3 Doctors near San Francisco, CA.