Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Linda C Shafer has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Linda C Shafer has the following 17 expertise
- Women's Health
- Bipolar Disorder
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Mental Illness
- Depressive Disorder
- Personality Disorder
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Sexual Dysfunction (Physiological)
- Mood Disorders
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Anxiety Disorders
- Sleep Disorders
- Clinical Depression
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorders (PTSD)
Dr. Linda C Shafer has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Linda C Shafer is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 7
I have been seeing Dr, Shafer off & on for years. Even when I don't see her in awhile she can pick up and know exactly where we left off and she asks me applicable questions about what has been going on in my life. Does she have notes? Probably. But it's the compassion that counts and that is what makes a difference with this doctor. I tried other doctors where it was all clinical. With Dr, Shafer it is more personalized. So if you want a personalized experience she is for you.
Dr Schafer should have chosen another profession sure she has the fancy degree that's it no compassion and cold I left feeling humiliated this was 2 years ago I told my therapist who agreed Dr Schafer shouldn't have approached my issues in such a cold manner. I'm writing this because this woman caused me more harm than good and don't want anyone else to go through that .
Dr. Schaefer diagnosed and first treated me for depression in 1977. I have learned much about this (esp' since the suicide of my harvard-ed' brother). If your family is also "counseling resistant," Dr. Schaefer's skills and demeanor will lead to a path of sound mental health. The drugs have improved much since my first meds' in the '80s. I survive and can thrive now without mood swings (that were of seismic proportion) on Wellbutrin 150mg, and have happy loving relationships, and a stable job.
Dr. Shafer is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
45 Years Experience
Tufts University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1973
Massachusetts General Hospital
Dr. Linda C Shafer accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
Locations & DirectionsProvidence VA Medical Center, 830 Chalkstone Ave, Providence, RI
Dr. Linda C Shafer is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Providence, RI.