Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Louis G Gelrud
Dr. Louis G Gelrud, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Richmond, VA, with another office in Richmond, VA. He has 47 years of experience. His specialties include Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology. Dr. Gelrud is affiliated with Memorial Regional Medical Center, Henrico Doctors Hospital-Forest and CJW Medical Center - Johnston Willis Hospital Campus. He speaks English.
Dr. Louis G Gelrud has the following 2 specialties
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Bronchopneumonia (Aspiration Pneumonia)
- Celiac Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Abdominal Pain
- Hepatitis C
- Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage
Showing 5 of 14
I went to see this doctor for extreme acid reflux. He told me to take Prilosec and immediately scheduled a colonoscopy. I later needed an outpatient procedure and was told by his P.A. that I had to schedule it through their "concierge", who had an unprofessional attitude and usually gave me wrong information, scheduled me for the wrong facility, etc. If I called the office to bypass the "concierge", the P.A. would tell me "You'll just have to go to the ER".No concern, no urgency, no followup by Dr. Gelrud. If you want a diagnosis, you won't find it here.
I would not recommend anyone to go see this doctor. He is uncaring, unprofessional, untimely, and just plain rude. After putting me through a year of round about tests and discriminating against me because of my age and gender, I finally had to beg him to do the one test I knew I needed. And then even with the biopsy results and report from another doctor right in front of his face, he refused to treat it and said I should look into seeing other GI doctors.
Dr. Gelrud is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
47 Years Experience
University Of Maryland School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1971
Medical College Of Virginia Hospital
Dr. Louis G Gelrud accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry - Bon Secours Tier 1
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Optima Health OptimaFit Direct HMO
- Optima Vantage HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Optimum Choice Preferred POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Dr. Louis G Gelrud is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Richmond, VA.