Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Luis R Barreras has the following 2 specialties
- Hematology & Oncology
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Adult T-Cell Leukemia-Lymphoma
- Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Blood Cancer
- Clinical Research
- Metastatic Breast Cancer
- Deep Vein Thrombosis
- Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia
- Hepatitis C
- Chronic B-Cell Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Bone Marrow Transplant
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 27
Kindest, caring and best bedside manner ever. I have had near death illnesses and hospital bound weeks at a time. He never stopped caring or wavered on taking care of me. One time I was so sick he himself wheeled me to the E.R. What Dr. In your life does that?
Dr. Barreras is quite possibly the BEST and most caring Doctor I have ever seen. His staff are all wonderful. They treat you like you are the only patient in the world at that time. I love his nurses....they make me laugh!! And they are great at their jobs too. The Dr. took me off medicine that I didn't need to be on which was also making me have pretty major side effects that I didn't need....he is much more educated then my previous Oncologist and it seems he keeps up to date with new things all the time too. I would trust this entire office with my life, Time and time again. It really doesn't get much better than this office.
Top 10 Doctor - Neighborhood (2014)
Top 10 Doctors are chosen by the millions of patients who visit Vitals each year to find a new doctor and share their experiences by providing ratings and reviews. In order to differentiate highly-regarded doctors from the rest for patients in search of quality care, Vitals awards Top 10 Doctor honors to those physicians within a certain specialty and geographic area who are consistently given top ratings by their patients.
Patients' Choice Award (2012, 2016, 2015)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2015, 2016)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
37 Years Experience
University Of Miami Leonard M Miller School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1981
Jackson Health System
Dr. Luis R Barreras accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- AvMed Empower
- AvMed Engage
- Avmed Choice
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- Florida Blue BlueOptions
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry FL Carelink HMO
- Coventry FL Employer Group HMO Open Access
- Coventry FL Employer Group PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana HMO
- Humana HMO Premier
- Humana HMO Select
- Humana National POS
- Humana Preferred PPO
UHC of the River Valley
- Neighborhood Health Partnership Commercial
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsOncology And Hematology Associates Of West Broward, 6405 N Federal Hwy Ste 100, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Luis R Barreras in this video.
Dr. Luis R Barreras is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Fort Lauderdale, FL.