Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Gout Get the facts about gout, including the risk factors.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Mabra G Abernathy Jr has the following 1 specialty
- Family Medicine
A family practitioner is a doctor who specializes in caring for people of all ages, at all stages of life. Rather than focusing on the treatment of one disease or patient population, family practitioners are often the doctors that people see for their everyday ailments, like cold and flu or respiratory infections, and health screenings. When necessary, family practitioners will provide referrals for conditions that require the expertise of another specialist.
The doctors may also provide physicals, inoculations, prenatal care, treat chronic diseases, like diabetes and asthma, and provide advice on disease prevention.
Dr. Mabra G Abernathy Jr has the following 6 expertise
- Family Planning
- Weight Loss
Dr. Mabra G Abernathy Jr is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 15
First time seeing him thought he help me from being sick,tell u he going do testing find out what wrong and by pass what wrong and really done care. If you're a doctor and don't listen to the patients or don't what to treat him i think there other doctor's that will listen or should send to a doctor that can fix the problems.just walk out the door poor doctor.
As someone who has dealt with doctors and hospitals my entire life and having seen the good and bad side of both. I began seeing Dr. Abernathy at University of Iowa Hosptials under the Iowa Care Program. I immediatly felt the "I am better than you" attitude that he possess. He immediately took me off one of my diabetes medications. My blood sugars and A1C began to increase. In response to this he told me I was eating way too many carbohydrates. Then, he began increasing both of my insulin dosages. My mom who is a nurse couldn't believe how much insulin he was prescribing to me. I went to a different doctor locally and right away was put back on the diabetes medication that Dr. Abernanthy took me off of. The doctor that I saw was shocked that he had me on such high does of two different insulins. All of my blood sugars and A1C levels went back into normal ranges. I am thankful that I now have insurance and can see a doctor who cares about me and my health . I would advise anyone to avoid Dr. Abernanthy. He is one of the most arragant and demening doctors I have ever met and should not be allowed to pratice medicine.
I have seen Dr. Abernathy 4-5 times since 2009. The first time I saw him in 2009 was regarding a knee problem. I immediately knew he looked down on me because I have Iowa Care insurance. I got the feeli g he couldn't wait to get rid of me. When I saw him again in 2010. I told him that I was having trouble with frequent urination, getting erections, blood in my stool, and generally not feeling myself. He showed little to no interest or empathy for my situation. At one point I asked for A Viagra prescription. To be continued.....
40 Years Experience
Medical University Of South Carolina College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1978
Dr. Mabra G Abernathy Jr accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry IA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Health Alliance HMO/POS
- Health Alliance PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- Wellmark Alliance Select
Locations & DirectionsUniversity Of Iowa Hospitals And Clinics, 200 Hawkins Dr, Iowa City, IA
Dr. Mabra G Abernathy Jr is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Iowa City, IA.