Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Maheswar Rao has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Maheswar Rao has the following 10 expertise
- Abdominal Pain
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Hepatitis C
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Celiac Disease
Dr. Maheswar Rao has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 6
If you are over 50 and have a large para esophageal hernia with a twisted stomach and gastric reflux, do not rely on a gastroenterologist to advise you on the proper course of treatment if surgery may be an option. Gastroenterologists do not do surgery; they do endoscopy and testing, as well as stretching the esophagus or pushing a twisted stomach back into place for very temporary relief. It is in their financial interest to keep you coming back for more prescriptions and procedures if you suffer from reflux or swallowing problems, thus delaying surgery that could eliminate your symptoms more quickly. This gastroenterologist did not even inform me (age 74) that surgery was an option for my condition when I was diagnosed, or that current medical thinking would advise surgery upon a diagnosis such as mine at my age. Also, do not be satisfied with seeing only a physicians assistant; insist on seeing the doctor. Do research about your condition to find out more about advances in surgery that could really help you. Too many elderly people are told to watch and wait for years, then find they are too old and frail to withstand surgery that would have made their lives much more comfortable. Finally, if you are considering surgery, find out if it can be done by laparascope or with robotic assistance, then look for a surgeon with a LOT of experience.
35 Years Experience
Kalinga Institute Of Medical Sciences
Graduated in 1983
Kaleida Health System
Dr. Maheswar Rao accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsGastroenterology Associates, 9103 Jefferson Hwy, Baton Rouge, LA
Dr. Maheswar Rao is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Baton Rouge, LA.