Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Adult Asthma Facts for adult asthma, including triggers & how allergies affect it.
- Allergic Asthma Facts about allergic asthma; who gets it & the most common symptoms.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Childhood Asthma Childhood asthma facts, including causes, symptoms & complications.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Cystic Fibrosis Facts about cystic fibrosis, including the symptoms of the condition.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Mai Liu has the following 3 specialties
- Critical Care Medicine
Also sometimes referred to as intensivists, critical care specialists are physicians with specialized training in the diagnosis and management of life-threatening conditions. Some of these conditions affect vital organs like the heart and lungs, those that make breathing difficult or impossible, and those that affect entire organ systems, like the renal system.
Critical care specialists are typically found in a hospital's intensive care unit where they monitor patients with life-threatening conditions and make determinations as to the best course of treatment.
- Pulmonary Disease
A pulmonologist is a physician who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions related to the lungs and respiratory tract.
These specialists are similar to critical care specialists in that their patients often require mechanical ventilation to assist their breathing.
Pulmonologists diagnose and treat patients with conditions such as asthma, cystic fibrosis, asbestosis, pulmonary fibrosis, lung cancer, COPD, and emphysema. Exposure and inhalation of certain toxic substances may also warrant the services of a pulmonologist.
Some of the tools and tests pulmonologists use to diagnose a patient are a stethoscope in order to listen for abnormal breathing sounds, chest X-rays, CT scans, blood tests, bronchoscopy, and polysomnography.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Mai Liu has the following 22 expertise
- Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis
- Lung Cancer
- Bronchial Diseases
- Flu (Human Influenza)
- Bronchial Hyperreactivity
- Pulmonary Sarcoidosis
- Lung Cancer (Bronchial Neoplasm)
- Tuberculosis (TB)
- Angiographic Visualization
- Interstitial Lung Diseases
- Chest Infection
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Fluid in Lungs (Pulmonary Edema)
- Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS)
- Disorders of Excessive Sleepiness (Hypersomnia)
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Lung Cancer (Bronchiolo-Alveolar Adenocarcinoma)
Dr. Mai Liu is Board Certified in 3 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 35
Horrible physician he shows no care at all, and gives his back to you when you are trying to speak with him of serious health concerns. Then in and out of the hospital with serious infections, due to lack of concern from Dr. Liu not running the necessary tests in his office, or sending you to the needed specialist if he unable to figure out what is wrong, but your well being goes on deaf ears with Dr. Liu. What a disgrace for a physician to behave in that type of manner, and his staff is no better with their rude attitudes at times if you ask to many questions, or ask for copies of your medical records. How unprofessional all around from that office even when one has to go seek medical attention at the ER, and Dr. Liu doesn't return any calls, or visits in the ER he sends an associate from his office that knows nothing of you, and then comes to your bedside with an attitude of what brings you to the ER? With all said and done I am no longer a patient of Dr. Liu, or with the other physicians associated with him from his office. If you want a doctor who doesn't give you his undivided attention (sitting with his back facing you), or not a bit of care for you then best of luck to you being his patient.
Dr. Liu is an excellent diagnostician with a wonderful caring bedside manner. Greets you in his waiting room promptly and spends more than enough time with his patients. Always follows up with a phone call if need be. Recommended.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
On-Time Doctor Award (2014)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
22 Years Experience
New York College Of Osteopathic Medicine
Graduated in 1996
Maimonides Medical Center
Dr. Mai Liu accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice EPO
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna NYC Community Plan
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
Capital District Physicians Health Plan
- CDPHP New York State of Health - Small Business
- CDPHP PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Connecticare Flex Connecticut
- Empire HMO
- Empire PPO
HIP of NY
- Emblem HIP Select PPO
MVP Health Plan
- MVP Preferred PPO
- Oxford Freedom
- Oxford Liberty
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsNassau Queens Pulmonary Associates, 3003 New Hyde Park Rd Ste 303, New Hyde Park, NY
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Mai Liu in this video.
Dr. Mai Liu is similar to the following 3 Doctors near New Hyde Park, NY.