Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Marcia Skjaerlund
Dr. Marcia Skjaerlund, DO is a Doctor primarily located in Owosso, MI, with another office in Owosso, MI. She has 32 years of experience. Her specialties include Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine. Dr. Skjaerlund is affiliated with Memorial Health Care Center and Memorial Health Care. She speaks English.
Dr. Marcia Skjaerlund has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Abdominal Pain
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Celiac Disease
- Hepatitis C
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Ulcerative Colitis
Showing 3 of 3
Dr. Skjaerlund and her staff are the greatest. She performed my fourth colonoscopy yesterday; it was the second exam in which she found a polyp. This one was in a difficult spot to remove. She took photos and a biopsy rather than risk rupturing the wall of the colon. When I awoke, she showed me the photos and explained in detail why surgery was necessary. Her staff made a consultation appointment for me with a surgeon before I left. The next morning, one of her staff called to see how I was doing and to make sure I was eating and drinking normally again. A short time later, Dr. S. herself called. Since her office would be closed the following day (Friday), she apologized for having to call instead of having me come in to see her in person to get the results of the biopsy. She told me, in medical terms and in plain English, that cancer cells were forming in the polyp but it was not yet a tumor--we found it early. I wasn't sure who to select to do the surgery, so I said I would discuss it with my husband when he came home and that I might request referrals to more than one surgeon. She said to please call back after I spoke to my husband, which I did. She had left the office by the time I called back, but she had given her staff instructions to call her on her cell phone if I called after she left. They called her and then called me with the names of other surgeons she recommended. Dr. S. is a very caring doctor who goes the extra mile for her patients. I wouldn't consider going to anyone else for a colonoscopy.
Dr. Skjaerlund is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Memorial Health Care
32 Years Experience
Michigan State University College Of Human Medicine
Graduated in 1985
Michigan State University
Dr. Marcia Skjaerlund accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- HAP Preferred PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- PriorityHealth HMO
- PriorityHealth Priority PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Dr. Marcia Skjaerlund is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Owosso, MI.