Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- Childhood Asthma Childhood asthma facts, including causes, symptoms & complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Maria M Oliva-Hemker
Dr. Maria M Oliva-Hemker, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Baltimore, MD. She has 32 years of experience. Her specialties include Pediatric Gastroenterology and Pediatrics. Dr. Oliva-Hemker is affiliated with Sinai Hospital Of Baltimore. Dr. Oliva-Hemker has received 1 award. She speaks English.
Dr. Maria M Oliva-Hemker has the following 2 specialties
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
Pediatric gastroenterologists can treat a variety of diseases and conditions in infants and children related to their liver, pancreas or intestines. If your child has severe or recurrent abdominal pain, constipation or diarrhea, a pediatric gastroenterologist can help you get to the bottom of it. They can also help identify the many possible causes of failure to thrive in infants.
Other common conditions they treat include Crohn's Disease, inflammatory bowel disease, liver disease, short gut syndrome and hepatitis C, as well as nutritional disorders like celiac disease and lactose intolerance. In order to diagnose and treat your child’s condition, gastroenterologists can perform colonoscopies and other diagnostic testing before deciding on the best treatment plan.
A pediatrician is a doctor who specializes in the regular care of children, as well as the diagnosis and treatment of illness in children. Young patients are often more complicated to treat because they are still growing and developing.
While pediatricians may sub-specialize in specific therapy areas like oncology, surgery, ophthalmology, and anesthesiology, in general, pediatricians provide services like vaccinations, health exams, and treatment of common ailments and injuries. In addition, pediatricians are trained to handle the complex emotional and behavioral issues faced by children, especially during puberty.
Pediatricians normally see their patients from birth until the age of 18, although some may agree to treat patients into their early 20s, if requested.
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD)
- Crohn's Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Malabsorption Syndromes
- Short Bowel Syndrome
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 2 of 2
America's Top Doctors (2017)
Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors® are specialists who are highly recommended by their peers and other healthcare professionals. The Castle Connolly research staff reviews both professional qualifications and professional reputation prior to Top Doctor status being awarded. This recognition identifies the top medical specialists throughout the country who possess a high level of medical skill and expertise. Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors® are specialists who are highly recommended by their peers and other healthcare professionals. The Castle Connolly research staff reviews both professional qualifications and professional reputation prior to Top Doctor status being awarded. This recognition identifies the top medical specialists throughout the country who possess a high level of medical skill and expertise.
Dr. Oliva-Hemker is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
32 Years Experience
Johns Hopkins University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1986
Johns Hopkins Health System
Dr. Maria M Oliva-Hemker accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsJohns Hopkins Hospital, 1800 Orleans St, Baltimore, MD
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Maria M Oliva-Hemker in this video.
Dr. Maria M Oliva-Hemker is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Baltimore, MD.