Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Marisa Serrato has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
- Holistic Health
- Anxiety Disorders
- Intimacy and Relationships
- Agoraphobia (Fear of Open Places)
- Mental Illness
- Interpersonal Relations
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Personality Disorder
- Alternative Medicine
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Clinical Depression
- Mood Disorders
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 11
Doctor Serrato is an EXCELLENT psychiatrist when it comes to mood disorders. Unlike many PDocs, she tries to get you on as few medications as possible to manage your symptoms - from diet, to exercise, to alternative medicine. She frequently checks up on patients that she has concerns about through e-mail and phone calls. If you are in need of an emergency visit, she often bends her schedule to fit your needs. You can really tell that she cares about her patients and wants them to succeed in life. She always stays on the pulse of what is new in treatment options, and if she cannot help you, she does her best to find someone who can. I would highly recommend her to anyone who has a mood disorder. You'll be safe in her hands. The office (IPD) is alright. They only really have one person in billing, and it is often fairly difficult to get a hold of her. She is courteous, however, and tries to work with you the best she can. It would be of more use if they had an e-mail, however, for those of us who work 9-5.
Dr. Serrato is a first rate psychiatrist and therapist. Her diagnosis of me was spot on--and different from that of my physician and the referring psychologist. Her therapy is very practical. One of the most sensible people I have ever meet. She is warm and caring. The above is not sufficient praise. She changed my life for the better. I am eternally grateful for working with her.
17 Years Experience
Baylor College Of Medicine
Graduated in 2001
Dr. Marisa Serrato accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsUniversity Of Illinois At Chicago, 1200 W Harrison St, Chicago, IL
Dr. Marisa Serrato is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Chicago, IL.