Dr. Mark Peterson Is this you?

3.9

Have you seen Dr. Mark Peterson?

Great doctor, would recommend

Posted on August 31st, 2017

I really like Dr. Peterson. He understands athletes. He really tries to keep you as active as safely possible, because he knows that being told to "just do nothing" is an easy out that requires no thought. Each time I have been injured, he spends time with me to consider what I can and can't do and takes the time to answer my questions. He's fairly aggressive in his healing/rehab schedule which I have noticed that more modern, progressive doctors are starting to do, as they realize that total rest is not always the best solution. I like that he takes the time to consider that and evaluate you based on your specific problem. Never uses the catch-all, "Just rest til it goes away" which is a cop-out in my opinion, and so many doctors use it. I mean, even I can tell someone just to stop doing anything. I want someone who will work with me and my particular issue, and Dr. Peterson does that. He's also a real straight-shooter, which is very important to me. He's very good at giving you "real talk" and that's important to a hypochondriac like myself. :-) Keeps my anxiety in check. He's as on-time as he possibly can be -- the nature of a doctor's job isn't always conducive to being exactly on schedule. On any given day, they have to take emergency appointments, might see a patient that takes an unexpectedly long time, etc., but I feel like I am always in and out in a reasonable amount of time. All in all, if you are looking for a no-nonsense, smart doctor who understands and appreciates an athlete's lifestyle, you should go to him. You will be glad you did. I hope I don't have to go back too soon, as that will mean I'm injured again, but if I do I know I will be in good hands.

Botched surgery

Posted on February 26th, 2016

Dr. Peterson did an ACL replacement and meniscus repair 3 years ago. To put it bluntly, he botched the surgery and left me in agony post-operatively. He got the guide wire, used to thread the ligament into place, caught behind the fixation screw and a piece broke off. He then had to hammer the screw out as it had been glued in place to get the wire out, and install a new allograft. He also failed to fix the meniscus tear properly as it subsequently shredded. I had to have another surgeon fix the tear and clean out the significant amount of scar tissue Peterson had left behind due to the additional trauma he caused by his error. Subsequently, the allograft he installed 3 years ago has now failed and I no longer have an intact ACL. This is why I'm posting my comments now. To add insult to injury, he was the most uncaring practitioner and never apologized for the pain he caused me from his poor surgical technique. He never offered to make it right, saying that people heal differently and I was just one of those people. My current sorts medicine ortho, who fixed the mess, said he was surprised by the outdated surgical method that was employed for an active woman of my age. Stay clear of this doctor, he is arrogant and inept.

Diagnosed Lyme Disease

Posted on November 14th, 2015

When there was no obvious trauma to my son's knee, Dr. Peterson ordered a lyme disease test & sure enough, my son had it. This was about 9 years ago and after a round of antibiotics, my son is fine. I am grateful he decided to test him instead of just saying the x-rays showed nothing.

Great Doctor

Posted on October 12th, 2014

I have been seeing Dr. Peterson for my arthritic knees for several years. I have found him to be very easy to schedule an appointment with--as in a few days--and to always proceed with me with caring and caution. He is not a surgeon who wants to jump into surgery--he wants to do it when you actually need it. He did a total knee replacement on me--and I will have him do another--when/if the time comes. I ask a LOT of questions--he is always patient and--more importantly--practical and realistic.

Doctor's Response

Hello, Kim. Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Shady Grove Orthopaedics and for sharing your kind words. It made our day! Thank you for choosing Shady Grove Orthopaedics for your care.

Fixed my knee

Posted on August 20th, 2009

I just want to say as an athlete I have had knee issues my entire life. This last time I was sent to Dr. Peterson by another doctor and I felt totally taken care of! He was realistic and compasionate. I would recommend him for any sprots related injury.

Posted on March 19th, 2016