Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- HIV/AIDS The differences between HIV & AIDS; signs, symptoms & complications.
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Shingles Facts about shingles, including symptoms & possible long-term effects.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. Mark R Abbruzzese has the following 2 specialties
- Infectious Disease
An infectious disease specialist has specialized training in the diagnosis and treatment of contagious diseases.
Infectious diseases, also known as contagious or transmissible diseases, are those that stem from pathogen from a host organism. These infections may spread to other carriers through physical touch, airborne inhalation, bodily fluids or contaminated foods.
Infectious disease specialists identify whether the disease is caused by bacteria, a virus, a fungus or a parasite often through blood tests and then determine what course of treatment, if any, is necessary.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Mark R Abbruzzese has the following 8 expertise
- Hepatitis C
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV/AIDS)
- AIDS/HIV (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome)
- HIV Infections
Dr. Mark R Abbruzzese has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 24
Dr. Abbruzzese is absolutely wonderful. Very patient and kind, answers all of your questions, explains things in a competent and professional but understandable way. Unfortunately, the members of his staff I have spoken to were not any of these things. It is inconceivable that they realize that they are dealing with sick and/or anxious people. The attitude is one of "sit there and be sick and we will get to you when we are ready to deal with you. Oh, and we are not going to tell you when that will be."
Dr abbruzzese has the most wonderful bedside manner, bar none! When you couple his amazing personality with an enormous amount of caring and, even more important, medical knowledge, you have one of the BEST physicians in the washington, d.c. area. If it's an infectious disease Doctor you're searching for, Mark Abbruzzese, M.D., should be your choice.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
On-Time Doctor Award (2016, 2018)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
Georgetown University Medical Center
Dr. Mark R Abbruzzese accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Select
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CareFirst BlueChoice Advantage
- CareFirst BluePreferred PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry DE PPO
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsMedstar Medical Group, 3301 New Mexico Ave NW Ste 205, Washington, DC
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Mark R Abbruzzese, MD - Infectious Disease in Washington, DC, in this video.
Dr. Mark R Abbruzzese is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Washington, DC.