Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Gastric Cancer Facts about Gastric Cancer, including symptoms and treatment
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. Mark Y Johnson has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Mark Y Johnson has the following 10 expertise
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Abdominal Pain
- Hepatitis C
- Celiac Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
Showing 5 of 13
I known for a matter of fact that this doctor saved my life. I saw him in his office. He was very nice. With some lab help, he figured out was wrong. I had a very rare infection that I most likely picked up a a north county hospital. He prescribed some med and followed up. I got better but 3 other doctors (a primary, urgent care and Er dr) missed it. I would for sure go back to him with no hesitation
Dr. Johnson placed a stent in my brothers (has stage IV esophageal/gastric cancer) esophagus at a hospital in San Diego. Unfortunately my brother experienced discomfort, pain and acid reflux. I called and called and called Dr Johnson's office and could not , for one week, get a response. In fact whoever answers his phone calls at his office was very nasty. Told me he will get in touch with me when he can. Finally he called me back, im assuming he was annoyed (too bad!!!) And told me he did not have to speak with me and that his call to me was a 'courtesy'....he should not be a doctor!!! No compassion and he believes he is doing people a favor...
Dr Johnson was extremely professional and caring of my medical condition. I especially liked how he greeted me by name and had already reviewed my chart prior to the time that he saw me. I highly rate him and am glad to return to him for continuing care. I have already recommended my mother to him.
When I walked into his office, everything was clean and everyone was kind. I filled out the information sheet, sat down and was greeted by Dr. Johnson in less than 5 minutes, ready to see me.What I really liked is that he listed REALLY well to my concern, like very few doctors I've had. He didn't rush me at all, and he answered each question. I could tell he has an extensive knowledge and was very polite. If you are unfortunate enough to need a gastro, I'd highly recommend Mark Johnson at Scripps CV.
Patients' Choice Award (2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2018)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
45 Years Experience
George Washington University School Of Medicine And Health Sciences
Graduated in 1973
Uc Irvine Medical Center
Dr. Mark Y Johnson accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus Savenet
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA Local Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Local Access + HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Trio ACO HMO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Cigna Southern CA Select
- First Health PPO
- Health Net CA CommunityCare Network HMO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO SmartCare
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net EPO - PureCare One Small Business
- Health Net PureCare HSP Individual and Family Plans
- Health Net SmartCare Large Group
- Health Net SmartCare Small Group
- Humana Choice POS
- Molina Mrktplace CA
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- PHCS PPO Kaiser
Sharp Health Plan
- Sharp Health Blue Choice
- Sharp Health Gold Value
- Sharp Health Performance
- Sharp Health Premier
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
More about Dr. Mark Y Johnson
Dr. Johnson has been practicing medicine since 1981 and was board certified in Internal Medicine in 1976. He was also board certified in Gastroenterology in 1981. Dr. Johnson received his medical degree from George Washington University in 1973. He served his internship at USC in LA and served his residency at USC in LA.
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Mark Y Johnson, MD - Gastroenterology in Chula Vista, CA, in this video.
Dr. Mark Y Johnson is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Chula Vista, CA.