3.9

Have you seen Dr. Martin D Bastuba?

Horrible Front Office

I never write reviews, but after dealing with this front office, um, I had to write something. It's awful. Stay away!!!! Super slow to process any paperwork, they will never call you, it's a black hole.... They need to get their act together or they will lose a lot of business. It's like dealing with the DMV but worse. Stay away from this office, period. I read this before I went and thought it might just be one angry person. Nope.

Do not see this doctor

DO NOT VISIT THIS DOCTOR My wife and I are trying to have a baby. She has had complications. I wanted to get checked to see if there was an issue on my end too. I made an appointment with Male Fertility & Sexual Medicine Specialists. YOU WILL WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY They conduct four steps to evaluate fertility. Each test was scheduled on a separate day, requiring a separate trip to the doctor’s office. The four tests (1. A physical examination. 2. A semen analysis. 3. A blood test 4. an ultrasound) are quick but could easily be consolidated into one or two visits which would be a better use of time. For each test you will fill out the same paperwork. They either lose your information or fail to record it. After the physical examination they will push you hard to buy their brand of male fertility vitamins (without yet having a blood or semen test). Their vitamins are marked up 2.5x similar vitamins you will find online. When you bring your semen sample for the second test, only then do they tell you that they won’t bill insurance, so you will have to pay then and there instead. While holding your container of semen, it is difficult to argue. I’m waiting to find out what hidden costs exist for tests three and four. YOU WILL NOT SEE THE DOCTOR AND YOUR INFORMATION WILL BE WITHHELD After completing the four tests I was told that I would have to wait 2 weeks for the “single” and “only” available appointment with the doctor. That was the one day I am out of town so they said it would have to wait two additional weeks – over a month to get the analysis of my data! A phone call was ruled out because “they don’t do that,” only to be offered later, on the condition that I don’t use my insurance to pay for it. It is the doctor’s responsibility to provide me the results of the tests in a timely manner. Should there be an issue, and the doctor is too busy to let me know, the practice could be liable. Free advice: Don’t accept new patients if you can’t help them. Sure, it’s more money for the practice. But it damages your brand and credibility when can’t provide a service in return. YOU WILL BE EMBARRASSED Aside from the waste of time and money, you will be embarrassed by the staff who lack any discretion. Every time you walk in they will ask loudly, “you are here for infertility?”. The answer is of course that I’m not yet sure. What I am sure of is that I didn’t want that shared with everyone else in the office and waiting area. After the physical examination, I scheduled the semen analysis. I was told I could “collect” at home. When I asked the assistant for something to take home they looked at me like I was crazy. I had to explain how the process worked before someone else was able to assist and provide me the collection container. When returning to the office with my semen sample, I was forced to pull the transparent collection container out in front of everyone in the waiting room to write the date on it. I asked if I could write the date on the bag the container was in and was told no. I asked if I could write on the container in a private space and was told no – so I did it in front of the entire waiting room and went back to my seat.

Dr. Bastuba was excellent start to finish!

noooooo

The weirdest office I've ever been to...and cindy the nurse practioner..very unprofessional ...

Director & Co- Founder of KanopiK

Dr. Bastuba is a very passionate medical professional that KNOWS what he is talking about. His explanation and education about his services is impeccable. If you are looking for a doctor who is experienced, passionate about your personal/family goals, Doctor Bastuba is the professional to go to. From the initial consultation to the day of the surgery to post-op. Please FOLLOW all directions from his staff and DO NO Deviate. His direction, guidance and more importantly the experience is thus far phenomenal. It is better than I expected. No post pain, recovery is as expected and schedule. My wife and I are excited to start our family again. THANK YOU Doctor Bastuba and team.

A Vasectomy Reversal Success!

I had a vasectomy after having had two kids in a previous marriage. My wife and I decided to undergo vasectomy reversal after we married in 2010 (16 years after vasectomy) to add one more child to our family. We heard about Dr. Bastuba through a friend who had done the same procedure with him a few years before. In January, 2011 the reversal was performed. Dr. Bastuba and staff were very professional and took their time to make sure everything was done right. The office staff were very helpful in working with me to use my Flexible Spending Account to pay for the procedure. By the time I recovered I had to go back to work with a traveling company, so for a few months we couldn't work on having a baby. When I came home, we were pregnant within 4 months! I just went through another vasectomy, because the one was all we wanted, and the doctor said he hated to destroy someone else's artwork. He was highly impressed with the work that Dr. Bastuba had done. Thanks again Dr. Bastuba, for making our dream come true!

Anything worth having is worth waiting for..

I have read the reviews here.. and I have to tell you .. Yes, he is late and hard to get on the phone. I agree with all those things.. but do you know a man capable of performing miracles on someone elses schedule? Maybe he takes on more than he should or could you a crash course in time mgmt but the guy is worth his weight in GOLD. My husband is an ex-fighter.. Many years of "Juice" 10 year old vas.. We searched high and low and screened MANY doctors.. Decided we liked Bastuba the best.. We flew in to SD and expected to go in for surgery have everything be smooth as silk and fly out and move on.. My husbands past showed up on the operating table he was the 1 in 10,000 that you hear about.. and his T level was nearly gone.. I thank my lucky stars that we spent the extra money, time, and effort to have Bastuba on our team! I couldn't have trusted a better doc with my husband, his health or the future of our family. All the hiccups in the world.. didn't stop our procedure from being successful. Bastuba spent the extra time in the OR (that TIME that makes him late or not able to respond as quickly) and took care of my husband.. We spent nearly the next year in his care.. Flying in and out.. but 9 months into treatment (after the operation) he said.. Green light go.. your numbers are good.. start trying and we followed all advice and (only) 3 months later.. We had conception! Without his knowledge and ability to be quick on his feet our little miracle would not be here. Dr. Bastuba will ALWAYS be a special part of our hearts and our family. Thank you Dr. Bastuba and all the staff.. We are forever in debt to you. Many THANKS!!! WE GIVE YOU ALL FIVE STARS..

Caring Dr.

Dr. Bastuba cares for his patients I think that is why he is always late getting to the next one. As in my experience we see him walk his patients to the door and call in his next and even though he is usually not on time the level of care is shown as he answers every question asked.

Near impossible to get an appt due to the phone always rolling into a voice mail and NO ONE bothering to call back. And this was not just once or twice. Out of the 7 calls made to them only once did someone answer the phone and when she did she had to leave a message for someone to get back to me to make an appt! To top it off no one called back then either. Very frustrating. The doctor is very nice, congenial, easy to talk to. But needs better staffing with more caring staff who realize that they are in a service industry.

Vasectomy Procedure. He's the one for you!

He is really experienced since he does mostly vasectomy-reversals and he is a very nice guy. He's able to make you feel comfortable, he is willing to listen to what you have to say, and he doesn't judge you in any way for your decision to get a vasectomy since many doctors are unwilling to do a procedure to anyone under the age of 30.

Dr. Bastuba is a professional and takes his work serious. He cares for his patients and spends ideal time with our needs.

NOT impressed

While the surgery seems to be healing well, we were not impressed by the post op care in his office. Dr Bastuba has yet to personally return my call with concerns post surgery. instead he had his office staff contact me. every time I call to let him know there are still concerns the girls that answer the phones want every detail of my concerns, then give reasoning that my concerns are not valid. due to the sensitive nature at hand i would think the office staff would respect privacy and not pressure you to confide in them instead of the Dr. himself...to those looking for a Dr. Get additional consultations prior to booking with Dr. Bastuba..

Dr. Martin D Bastuba is similar to the following 4 Doctors near San Diego, CA.