Get the facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Martin H Schaffer has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
- Personality Disorder
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Mental Illness
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
- Depressive Disorder
- Mood Disorders
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 16
I found Dr. Schaffer after being dissatisfied with a pscychiatrist just off of Oak Lawn. I wasn't sure what to expect but found our brief conversation on the phone to be pleasant. Since I was coming to him as a new patient who was unhappy with her current psych care, he suggested our first appointment be 2 hours long, so that we could cover all bases. Our first appointment was extremely thorough. He asked questions about my physical health, family relations, daily activities, mental health, medications, even small things like my illnesses as a child. He listened intently and made notes. He never interrupted. With 45 minutes of the appointment remaining, he ended his questions, gave me his diagnosis and gave me his opinion of what my new treatment plan should be. He is extremely intelligent and professional. I have moved about the country quite a bit so I have experienced many doctors in my life and Dr. Schaffer is by far the most caring, most knowledgeable doctor I have seen to date. He takes everything you tell him very seriously and you can tell he has a deep love for his profession.
On-Time Doctor Award (2015, 2016)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2016)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
43 Years Experience
Stanford University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1975
Christiana Care Health System
Locations & DirectionsMartin H Schaffer Mdpa, 9400 N Central Expy Ste 1212, Dallas, TX
Dr. Martin H Schaffer is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Dallas, TX.