Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Mary Ellen M Heisler has the following 1 specialty
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Weight Loss
- Weight Loss (non-surgical)
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 8
Saw Dr. Heisler after seeing another nonVA doctor for 15 years. In just one visit she was so thorough and asked questions my other doctor never asked and did a bunch of tests. She found I had a severe anemia from lack of iron. She immediately got me a colon study and caught a cancer before it had spread. I feel she saved my life. I have been seeing her ever since and appreciate how thorough and caring she is.
I finally feel like I have found a doctor who really listens, responds immediately to my questions and concerns (she even gave me her cell phone number if I need to call her as well as her personal email). When I email her she responds right away. I also like that she takes time to explain things and directs me to resources. She is thorough about my medical issues but has taken the time to know me as a person, about my family and interests. She also focuses more than other doctors I have had on being sure I am eating well, getting activity, dealing with stress, sleeping well--helping me be as healthy as possible.
I had a lot of doctors as I have a lot chronic illnesses and health problems. She is the best doctor I have had and have been with her since 2006. She is thorough and knowledgable and takes enough time to really explain things and understand my concerns. I feel she knows everything about me, not just my medical conditions and best treatments but also about me as a person. She helps me figure out ways I can take steps to be healthier. I found out she went to Harvard Medical School and is a leading expert on diabetes and was not surprised to learn this. She answers my emails right away and gives her patients her cell phone number to be sure we can reach her any time. The nurses and pharmacists who work with her also reach out to me and stay in close touch to help me. I have private insurance but feel best about the care I get at VA.
She is best doctor I have had. She is thorough and compassionate. I know she really cares about me and know me as person. Also really counsels and provides education. Does not just focus on treating with mess but also knows a lot about nutrition and exercise. I wish all doctors took whole view like her
22 Years Experience
Harvard Medical School
Graduated in 1996
Dr. Mary Ellen M Heisler accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsVa Ann Arbor Health Care Systems, 2215 Fuller Rd, Ann Arbor, MI
Dr. Mary Ellen M Heisler is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Ann Arbor, MI.