- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Gastric Cancer Facts about Gastric Cancer, including symptoms and treatment
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Matthew D Ashmun MD
Dr. Matthew D Ashmun, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Lexington, KY. He has 16 years of experience. His specialties include Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine. He speaks English.
Dr. Matthew D Ashmun has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Matthew D Ashmun has the following 10 expertise
- Hepatitis C
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Abdominal Pain
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Celiac Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
Showing 2 of 2
I just can't read you.....
Self-verified patient of Dr. Matthew D Ashmun - Posted on February 25th, 2016
I saw Dr. Ashmun for Crohn's Disease which I have had for 27 years. We discussed the symptoms that I was having and it should have been a red flag that I had lost 40 pounds in less than 6 months, effortlessly. I was having leg cramps, eye twitching and abdominal cramping. He replied, I just can't read you. I was speechless and did not know what to think because I had never been told that from a doctor. He suggested blood work and sample of bowel movement so I did the bloodwork and I do not remember hearing back with the results which I already knew that I had to keep shopping for a new gastroenterologist. I was only shopping doctors because my last gastroenterologist was no longer practicing. I found a new gastroenterologist and they recognized there was a problem on my first visit after I described the same symptoms and immediately sent me for a colonoscopy. I ended up having a bowel resection surgery because of stricture (narrowing) and part of the bowel had collapsed, they described it as a flattened water hose. I am glad that I did not wait any longer to take action or I could have faced emergency surgery or died from malabsorption. Above is the serious issue but here is a side note, I told Dr. Ashmun that I only smoked 1/2 pack cigarettes a day but had completely eliminated carbonated beverages, he did not see the harm in drinking sodas or smoking a few cigarettes a day. I have never heard that from another doctor. In fact, my surgeon told me to stop smoking immediately and I did. It has been over a year now. I felt compelled to share this experience because it was a very frustrating process.
Self-verified patient of Dr. Matthew D Ashmun - Posted on August 15th, 2013
16 Years Experience
University Of Kentucky College Of Medicine
Graduated in 2003
Dr. Matthew D Ashmun Accepts the Following Insurance
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Locations & DirectionsLEXINGTON CLINIC, 1221 S Broadway, Lexington, KY
Dr. Matthew D Ashmun is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Lexington, KY.