Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Gout Get the facts about gout, including the risk factors.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Matthew J Smith has the following 1 specialty
- Family Medicine
A family practitioner is a doctor who specializes in caring for people of all ages, at all stages of life. Rather than focusing on the treatment of one disease or patient population, family practitioners are often the doctors that people see for their everyday ailments, like cold and flu or respiratory infections, and health screenings. When necessary, family practitioners will provide referrals for conditions that require the expertise of another specialist.
The doctors may also provide physicals, inoculations, prenatal care, treat chronic diseases, like diabetes and asthma, and provide advice on disease prevention.
- Family Planning
- Weight Loss
- Women's Health
- Preventive Medicine
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 21
We've been seeing Dr. Smith for almost 15 years. In the beginning he spent lots of time listening, answering questions, and taking our opinions/beliefs into account when prescribing treatment plans. As his practice has grown, this has changed significantly. We believe he is very knowledgeable & caring but, unless the issue is common like Strep Throat or Flu, we almost always feel he is "too educated" or "too busy" to listen. Although he is always friendly, we often leave feeling unheard and cheated of a better quality of care. We end up returning for the same issue(s) only to be told to try the same unsuccessful things over and over again until we "ask" for referrals to specialists where the issue/problem is finally addressed. This has led us to consider finding a different Family Practitioner, even though we'd rather have the Dr. Smith we used to have. His staff is awesome! They are friendly, professional, and listen attentively answering questions thoroughly. He could take lessons from his staff and interns in patient communications -- which could bring him back to "why" we chose him as our family physician to begin with.
Dr. Smith is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
18 Years Experience
University Of Iowa Roy J And Lucille A Carver College Of Medicine
Graduated in 2000
Northeast Iowa Medical Center
Dr. Matthew J Smith accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry IA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- Wellmark Alliance Select
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsMusgrave And Smith Mds, 212 W Dale St Ste 303, Waterloo, IA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Matthew J Smith in this video.
Dr. Matthew J Smith is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Waterloo, IA.