Dr. Matthew M Schultzel Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Matthew M Schultzel?

Very personable. After another surgeon at Scripps La Jolla botched my colon surgery I came to Dr. Schultzel for a second opinion. He repaired my colon and listened to all my concerns. I now have my life back.

Dr Matthew Schultzel is an exceptional surgeon

I met Dr Schultzel in the ER, and I am for ever grateful. My situation was dire and he had to perform life saving surgery. After a Colostomy and later an Ileostomy I had a successful reversal surgery a couple of weeks ago. I now can resume my life after almost 7 months. I feel extremely blessed to have encountered such an exceptional surgeon. He gave me hope in a desperate situation and he made good on his promise.

Colonoscopy

Dr. Schultzel performed my colonoscopy at Scripps Encinitas Hospital. It was painless and easy. Dr. Schultzel is very comforting and very throughout. I didn’t feel a thing! I have now sent my entire family to him. Too bad he doesn’t do family deals!!!

Dedicated and extremely good at what he does!

I met Dr. Schultzel when I was in the hospital. He seemed very nice, down to earth and confident, but I was very sick and all I knew is that he was a surgeon and I wasn't interested in what he suggested. He instructed me to make an appointment to see him once I was discharged because he felt I needed surgery (they couldn't do the surgery while I had an active infection). Of course, I didn't want surgery so I went to my primary care doctor for my post hospital check, who said I could very well try a modified diet and that surgeons want to cut, but it is not always the best or only choice. I was thrilled, until 1.5 months later when I was back in the hospital. I thought for sure Dr. Shultzel would make me feel foolish for not going to see him, but he was gracious and still very kind and took the time to explain 'why' I needed the surgery. I finally made the appointment and even though I was terrified, I had surgery. Although I was asleep, my husband said that he was kept informed every step of the way during my very long procedure. The best part and the reason YOU WILL WANT TO GO TO DR. SCHULTZEL, is that he is very aware of different techniques that he uses not only during the surgery, but in the recovery process. I didn't have one narcotic and barely needed more than OTC meds once I was released from the hospital 48 HOURS after being admitted----YES I was only in for 48 hours and was just fine to go home. I didn't mention in the beginning, but I have been a nurse for 25+ years and I mean it when I tell you that if you don't at least see Dr. Schultzel and get his opinion on your GI concerns, then you may be missing out on the best care for yourself and your family. Ii spent a lot of time in the hospital between September 2016 and January 2017 and I haven't been back since he performed surgery! I have kids that need me healthy and we couldn't be happier now!

Colon cancer

Dr. Schultzel took care of my colon cancer. He was easy to talk to and was always available to speak with. The staff who took care of me speak very highly of him. I had a pain free experience and now can get on with my life.

Hernia repair

Dr. Schultzel fixed my groin hernia with a robot. It was nearly pain free and I am already back to work.

Excellent Doctor, listen to what I asked answered my questions and made sure I understood.

saved my life

Dr. Schultzel saved my life. I had an appendicitis, and he was on-call the day I came to the ER. I was so lucky to have him! He removed my appendix, making only one small cut below my belly button to do it. I can't even see the incision now, and I feel great! I'm already back to surfing and ocean swimming, and I'm preparing for a triathalon. I couldn't have made it through the ordeal without Dr. Schultzel's warm bedside manner, which kept me calm and optimistic that I'd recover. He is a skilled surgeon and a really nice guy. Highly recommend!

Excellent quality of care

Dr. Schultzel performed a laparoscopic hernia repair at the surgery center collocated at his office. He and the staff were attentive to my needs and I was able to go home by noon following surgery. Granted hernia repairs are a painful and slow process for healing and I am thankful for the way everything went, including follow up care. The surgery was scheduled very quickly following diagnosis and I travelled from Hawaii for this procedure. Now 5 weeks out I am able to return to Hawaii but, I will follow the doctors advice to be careful of the activities I perform in the future and not to do anything strenuous for several more weeks.

Exceptional care

Dr. Schultzel put my colostomy back together after my bowel exploded at another hospital. He was able to do the whole thing laparoscopically! I had very little pain and stayed only 2 days in the hospital. He is a saint! His staff very good. Dr. Schultzel has a warm heart and I felt like he is well trained. I was told before by another surgeon that I couldn't be put back together laparoscopically, but Dr. Schultzel proved that doctor wrong!!! I would recommend him to everyone!

Awesome Doctor

Very professional, informative and caring. His bedside manner is exceptional.

Great experience!

Going to Dr. Schultzel was a seriously awesome experience. He has amazing bedside manner and not only was extremely thorough and well organized but just very compassionate and kind. He answered all of my questions completely and honestly. I went to Dr. S for an unplanned emergency surgery and was extremely nervous. Dr. S was very sweet and handled a very stressful situation in a very professional and comforting manner. I appreciate all of his efforts. He is such a great doctor! You can tell he has this desire to work for a practice that has a very focused and consistent base of patients that he can get to know and care for and he does just that. He is extremely positive and made me feel very comfortable. I would highly recommend him!