Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Mauricio M Botero-Velez has the following 2 specialties
A nephrologist is a physician who is specially trained to diagnose and treat conditions affecting the kidneys or renal system.
A nephrologist will determine through urine analysis, blood test, X-ray, sonogram, or kidney biopsy how well the kidneys are functioning and will then prescribe a special diet and exercise program, medication or dialysis - a process by which a machine filters the blood when the kidney is no longer capable of doing so.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Kidney Biopsy
- End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Chronic Renal Disease
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
Showing 4 of 4
Okay, we need to cut this wonderful doctor some slack. After attending to me in the hospital for 10 days after I suffered an acute renal failure(ARF), getting in to see Dr. Botero was a nightmare! Part of my release papers I signed, and the nurse witnessed, I was supposed to see him within 2 weeks of my discharge. I was put on a waiting list that was about 3 months long. I couldn't do that! Part of the problems were: 1) He is just getting into the Martin Memorial Health System 2)This is the only nephrology office in Martin or St. Lucie Counties, and 3) They are getting up to 30, yes 30, new patients a day!
Wouldn't listen to me about my history and condition.Had to actually go look something up in his office after I explained it to him.Put the wrong diagnosis on mt chart.I was a new patient, so maybe he thought I didn't know anything. But frankly, treating a new patient like they are ignorant of their own condition and treatment that they have been dealing with for almost 2 decades shows a lack of common respect.I didn't assume he was unknowledgable before I met and talked with him. I made my decision that he was after I talked with him.YMMV (your mileage may vary)...maybe he was having a bad day or didn't like the type of patient I am (very informed).
Albert Einstein College Of Medicine
Dr. Mauricio M Botero-Velez accepts the following insurance providers.
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
MVP Health Plan
- MVP Preferred PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsAdvantage Care Physicians, 441 9th Ave Fl 2, New York, NY
Dr. Mauricio M Botero-Velez is similar to the following 3 Doctors near New York, NY.