- Ulcerative Colitis Get the facts about ulcerative colitis, including what causes it, signs and symptoms, and complications that can arise from the condition.
- Psoriatic Arthritis Get the facts about psoriatic arthritis, including who gets it, the symptoms, and the different types.
- Adult Asthma Get the facts about adult asthma, including who gets it, what triggers it, and how allergies can affect it.
- Fibromyalgia Get the facts about fibromyalgia, including the symptoms and conditions that may be related to it.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Mayada Akil MD
Dr. Mayada Akil, MD is a doctor primarily located in Washington, DC, with another office in Washington, DC. They have 37 years of experience. Their specialties include Psychiatry.
Dr. Mayada Akil has 2 locations
Dr. Mayada Akil has the following 1 SPECIALTIES
Dr. Mayada Akil has the following 14 expertise
- Personality Disorder
- Depressive Disorder
- Mood Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders
- Sleep Disorders
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Mental Illness
- Bipolar Disorder
- Genetic Predisposition to Disease
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Clinical Depression
37 Years Experience
Graduated in 1982
Dr. Mayada Akil Accepts the Following Insurance
More about Dr. Mayada Akil
Mayada Akil, MD serves as Medical Director of the Outpatient Program and Director of the Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program. Dr. Akil is actively involved in teaching medical students and psychiatry residents. She is the Director of the Psychiatry Course for second year medical students at Georgetown University and teaches a course on Neuroscience and Psychiatry to the fourth year psychiatry residents. She is also actively involved in training residents and medical students at the Mood and Anxiety Disorders Clinic. Dr. Akil received her medical degree form the University of Damascus. She trained in Psychiatry (the research track) at the University of Michigan. She completed a research fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh in 1991 then joined the faculty at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic and the Department of Neurology at the University of Pittsburgh. In that capacity, Dr. Akil directed a Neuropsychiatry Clinic, conducted neuroscience research and participated in teaching neuroscience to psychiatric residents. In 1996, Dr. Akil joined the intramural program at the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) where she conducted research on the pathophysiology of psychotic disorders and continued her clinical practice and her training of research fellows. In 2003, Dr. Akil was appointed Senior Advisor to the NIMH Director and she continues to function in that capacity. Dr. Akil joined the Department of Psychiatry at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital in March of 2007 as a full time staff member. Her clinical and teaching experience and her work in neuroscience research have culminated in her dual role as an advisor to the NIMH Director and a clinician-educator at Georgetown University.