Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Mayada Akil has 2 locations
3800 Reservoir Rd NW
Washington, DC 20007
2115 Wisconsin Ave NW Ste 200
Washington, DC 20007
Book Online Now
Dr. Mayada Akil has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.<br>He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Mayada Akil has the following 14 expertise
- Personality Disorder
- Depressive Disorder
- Mood Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders
- Sleep Disorders
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Mental Illness
- Bipolar Disorder
- Genetic Predisposition to Disease
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Clinical Depression
University Of Michigan Health System
Dr. Mayada Akil Accepts the Following Insurance
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Select
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- PHCS PPO
More about Dr. Mayada Akil
Mayada Akil, MD serves as Medical Director of the Outpatient Program and Director of the Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program. Dr. Akil is actively involved in teaching medical students and psychiatry residents. She is the Director of the Psychiatry Course for second year medical students at Georgetown University and teaches a course on Neuroscience and Psychiatry to the fourth year psychiatry residents. She is also actively involved in training residents and medical students at the Mood and Anxiety Disorders Clinic. Dr. Akil received her medical degree form the University of Damascus. She trained in Psychiatry (the research track) at the University of Michigan. She completed a research fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh in 1991 then joined the faculty at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic and the Department of Neurology at the University of Pittsburgh. In that capacity, Dr. Akil directed a Neuropsychiatry Clinic, conducted neuroscience research and participated in teaching neuroscience to psychiatric residents. In 1996, Dr. Akil joined the intramural program at the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) where she conducted research on the pathophysiology of psychotic disorders and continued her clinical practice and her training of research fellows. In 2003, Dr. Akil was appointed Senior Advisor to the NIMH Director and she continues to function in that capacity. Dr. Akil joined the Department of Psychiatry at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital in March of 2007 as a full time staff member. Her clinical and teaching experience and her work in neuroscience research have culminated in her dual role as an advisor to the NIMH Director and a clinician-educator at Georgetown University.
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Mayada Akil, MD - Psychiatry in Washington, DC, in this video.
Dr. Mayada Akil is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Washington, DC.