Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chemotherapy A breakdown of the types of chemotherapy & potential side effects.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Lymphoma Lymphoma symptoms & the difference between Hodgkin's & Non-Hodgkin's.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Melissa Alsina has the following 2 specialties
A hematology specialist is an expert in disorders of the blood, the blood forming organs and bone marrow. These doctors diagnose, treat and work to prevent diseases that affect the production of blood and its components, as well as the ability of the blood to perform its many functions, such as coagulation and carrying oxygen to the lungs and tissue.
Hematologists diagnose and treat blood disorders, such as anemia, hemophilia, leukemia, sickle cell anemia, deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.
Depending on the condition, hematology specialists may treat a patient with a blood transfusion, stem cell transplantation, bone marrow transplant, radiotherapy, anticoagulation therapy or medication.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Melissa Alsina has the following 11 expertise
- Peripheral Nervous System Diseases
- Hepatitis C
- Kaposi Sarcoma
- Bone Marrow Transplantation
- Multiple Myeloma (Cancer of Plasma Cells)
- Deep Vein Thrombosis
- Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia
Showing 5 of 15
What a cold fish! I saw her for multiple myeloma, which had been diagnosed at Sloan Kettering, she scheduled the chemo, and I never saw her again. After going through my first 2 weeks of chemo, I'm in my off week. This past weekend, I had a fever of 101, was achy, and basically felt like I had the flu. On Saturday morning, I emailed Dr. Alsino that I didn't feel well, and asked her if it could be from the chemo. As of Monday at 6:30 PM I hadn't heard from her, so I sent an email asking if she had gotten my email on Saturday. The reply was that she was out of town for 2 MONTHS & I should call the BMT office if I needed help. Such concern for her patients! She might be a great doctor (not in my mind), but she has absolutely no empathy for her patients.
She works for a top of the line cancer center but seems to be lost in a quagmire. Her nurses are not responsive to email or vmail and she does not respond to email or vmail either - despite the promise at the intake appointment that they are "always" available. Unfortunately, this just is not true, and the false promise erodes patient confidence - needlessly.
Extremely skilled and truly caring.
Dr. Alsina is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
University Of Texas Health Science
Dr. Melissa Alsina accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- AvMed Empower
- Avmed Choice
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS Florida myBlue
- Florida Blue BlueCare HMO
- Florida Blue BlueOptions
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry FL Employer Group HMO Open Access
- Coventry FL Employer Group PPO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana HMO
- Humana HMO Premier
- Humana HMO Select
- Humana National POS
- Humana Preferred PPO
- Humana Tampa Bay CoreNet
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
UHC of the River Valley
- Neighborhood Health Partnership Commercial
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsMoffitt Cancer Center, 12902 Usf Magnolia Dr, Tampa, FL
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Melissa Alsina in this video.
Dr. Melissa Alsina is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Tampa, FL.