Binge Eating Disorder
Get the facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms, causes and related conditions.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Melissa M Garrett has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Hepatitis C
- Colon Cancer
Showing 5 of 22
I would not recommend to anyone. She lacks any compassion and was the worst GI physician I have ever had contact with. The front desk staff were not helpful answering questions, and did not even acknowledge me for several minutes when I first arrived, and then could not even print out a receipt. The only good thing I have to say about the office is the wait time is always within 5 minutes, but I will not be back.
This was the most horrifying experience I have ever had with a doctor. She seemed very angry about something from the beginning of the appointment, did not care to ask about any of my symptoms and tried to push me out the door with a hand full of pills as fast as possible. Over the course of the next two monthes under her care I lost over 45 lbs and became severely malnourished while she refused to return my calls. She showed up late to a procedure, confused, and quickly administered anesthesia before I could even ask her a question. Eventually told me I was fine and referred me to the pain management clinic. The doc at pain management took one look at me and said I was severely ill and told me to seek immediate medical attention with another doctor. UNC was horrified with my story and immediately took care of the situation. If you care for your health or that of your loved ones, for the love of god look elsewhere.
18 Years Experience
University Of Virginia School Of Medicine
Graduated in 2000
Dr. Melissa M Garrett accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsDuke University Medical Center, 200 Trent Dr, Durham, NC
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Melissa M Garrett in this video.
Dr. Melissa M Garrett is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Durham, NC.