Get the facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Melissa A Nishawala
Dr. Melissa A Nishawala, MD is a Doctor primarily located in New York, NY, with another office in New York, NY. She has 26 years of experience. Her specialties include Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, Psychiatry and Neurology. Dr. Nishawala is affiliated with Reading Hospital. She speaks English.
Dr. Melissa A Nishawala has the following 3 specialties
- Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
- Personality Disorder
- Asperger Syndrome
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Mental Illness
- Eating Disorders
- Autism (Autistic Disorder)
- Mood Disorders
- Clinical Depression
- Depressive Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 6
We first saw Dr. Nishiwala when my son was 2 and a half years old. My son is now almost 11 years. She is kind, caring and has been right on everything she has said thus far. She is brilliant. My son has a language learning disability, anxiety and ADD. She provides excellent care and we are lucky to have met her. Highly Recommend!
We went to Dr. Nishawala looking for an expert medical opinion. For $1700, she observed our child for less than a half hour, declared him ADHD and recommended that we put him on ritalin. When we tried to ask about potential side effects, she completely dismissed our concerns, calling the med completely safe. She stated that she has personally prescribed this medication to ~800 patients, which honestly I find more worrisome than reassuring. Apparently that's what she does. Later we had our child evaluated somewhere else where they spent time with our son and performed actual assessments, and we received a different diagnosis. We had heard great things about NYU and had seen another doctor there that was wonderful, it's just Dr. Nishawala that we were greatly disappointed with.
Dr. Nishawala is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
26 Years Experience
Northwestern University The Feinberg School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1992
University Of Minnesota
Dr. Melissa A Nishawala accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Dr. Melissa A Nishawala is similar to the following 3 Doctors near New York, NY.