Get the important facts about acne, including the different types and what causes it.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Acne Important facts about acne and what causes it.
- Alopecia Alopecia facts; different types of hair loss & what can cause it.
- Facelift Facts about facelifts, including the different types of procedures.
- Facial Wrinkles and Lines Find out what causes facial wrinkles and lines.
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Lyme Disease Facts about lyme disease; where it’s found and stages of the disease
- Non-Healing Wounds Facts about non-healing wounds, including different types & causes.
- Psoriasis Learn about the symptoms of different types of psoriasis.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Melville H Hughes has the following 1 specialty
A dermatologist is a doctor who has extensive training and knowledge of the skin, scalp, hair and nails and treats conditions that affect those areas. These doctors will evaluate any abnormality, blemish or lesion on the skin in order to determine the cause and will determine a course of treatment.
Dermatologists provide patients with full body scans in order to identify any signs that are indicative of an illness that requires treatment, such as skin cancer. These specialists may also provide cosmetic services, such as mole removal, scar diminishing treatments and even botox and face lifts.
- Skin Cancer
- Acne Rosacea
- Acne (Acne Vulgaris)
- Actinic Keratosis
- Skin Biopsy
- Basal Cell
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 18
This is the first time I've ever felt the absolute need to write a review, and not for a good reason. I saw Dr. Hughes about a month ago to receive a cortisone injection in an acne cyst I had on my forehead. First of all, I've gotten cortisone before, and he injected WAY too much. I had a huge lump on my head afterwards from all of the fluid that was just pumped into my face and that's never happened to me with successful cortisone injections in the past. Second of all, HE INJECTED THE WRONG SPOT. When I realized this and told him, he simply denied it. Then I pointed at where he injected vs where the bump was and he tried to make up the excuse that I had more than one bump in that area and he just injected a different one, WHICH WAS SO BEYOND FALSE. I ONLY HAD ONE BUMP AND ITS LOCATION WAS VERY OBVIOUS. He clearly just didn't want to admit to being wrong, so he completely made up a rationale to save his own skin - so incredibly inconsiderate and unsettling. Then, he injected another syringe-full of cortisone into the correct spot, again way too much. I left in hysterics knowing that the risk of atrophy probably had just tripled after that visit. I was right. The bump went down but after a week an indent began forming. It's been a month and the indent has only gotten progressively worse. I now need to find another experienced dermatologist/cosmetic surgeon to get fillers in the area so I don't look like a complete freak. I'm so devastated with my result and with his lack of expertise. If I could give him and my overall experience negative stars, I would.
Dr. Hughes and his staff are professional and courteous. I felt he was knowledgeable regarding my condition and treated it appropriately. He has also been great with my teens in treating their acne using prescription medication when needed and OTC if available and appropriate or equally effective. The doctor is aware of costs to patient and will supply samples and/or discount cards from manufacturers. I find him much more personable and caring than other local dermatologists.
23 Years Experience
Weill Cornell Medical College
Graduated in 1995
University Of Illinois College Of Medicine
Dr. Melville H Hughes accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
Capital District Physicians Health Plan
- CDPHP HMO
- CDPHP New York State of Health - Small Business
- CDPHP PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Connecticare Flex Connecticut
- Harvard Pilgrim PPO
MVP Health Plan
- MVP HMO
- MVP Preferred PPO
- MVP Premier Plus HMO Small Groups
- Oxford Freedom
- Oxford Liberty
- Oxford Metro
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsDermatology & Dermatologic, 1 Bushwick Rd Ste D, Poughkeepsie, NY
Dr. Melville H Hughes is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Poughkeepsie, NY.