Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- HIV/AIDS The differences between HIV & AIDS; signs, symptoms & complications.
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Shingles Facts about shingles, including symptoms & possible long-term effects.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Melvin I Scheer has the following 2 specialties
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Infectious Disease
An infectious disease specialist has specialized training in the diagnosis and treatment of contagious diseases.
Infectious diseases, also known as contagious or transmissible diseases, are those that stem from pathogen from a host organism. These infections may spread to other carriers through physical touch, airborne inhalation, bodily fluids or contaminated foods.
Infectious disease specialists identify whether the disease is caused by bacteria, a virus, a fungus or a parasite often through blood tests and then determine what course of treatment, if any, is necessary.
Dr. Melvin I Scheer has the following 7 expertise
- Hepatitis C
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV/AIDS)
- HIV Infections
Dr. Melvin I Scheer has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Melvin I Scheer is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 15
Dr. Scheer pin-pointed a condition that had eluded 3 other doctors. His is diagnosis and the medication he prescribed did the trick within 5 weeks. Now I am medication free for the first time in almost 4 years. He is a kind and very knowledgable man who never makes you feel he doesn't have time to listen and explain.
I left my first (and last) appointment with Dr. Scheer in total shock. I had come after my general practitioner said she suspected a particular condition. I had all the classic symptoms and my blood results had all but confirmed it. But within the first 30 seconds of my visit (and I'm not exaggerating here), he confidently proclaimed that it was impossible for me to have contracted it--though he admitted that he hadn't yet looked at the blood results. They had been sent over but the staff couldn't find them, and he didn't seem very interested in them anyway. He also acted as if my regular doctor was a complete moron, despite the fact that they're one of the highest rated in LA. What made him so sure? You can't get it in Los Angeles, he said (which completely contradicts what the CDC has to say). However, he never even asked me if I'd recently traveled or anything. And, in fact, when I asked him where one COULD get it, he named a city just about an hour away which I travel to several times a year. When I told him about some of my classic--and frightening--symptoms, he suggested it was stress. Worst of all, he refused to extend the medication I'm on which is VITAL if, as the tests suggest, I do have this disease. Believe me, I'd love to find out that all this was a big mistake and that I'm as healthy as a horse. But not like that. Test results and previous diagnoses aside, there is simply NO way a doctor could draw such a conclusion after such a short period of time, without any facts, and without ever having looked at the test results for God's sake. PLEASE get a second opinion if you've seen this doctor. The man is not objective. I don't know what he is. I've never seen anything like it.
Yes, I read the reviews on this site but I was desperate to see a doctor right away. I have some sort of parasite contracted while in the jungle.He was a complete waste of time and for every symptom I explained he had a derogatory comment. Completely uninterested in my health concerns- he was just going through the motions. Avoid at all costs.
52 Years Experience
New York University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1966
Ucla Medical Center
Dr. Melvin I Scheer accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
Locations & DirectionsSanta Monica Bay Physicians, 1260 15th St Ste 1501, Santa Monica, CA
Dr. Melvin I Scheer is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Santa Monica, CA.