Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Michael E Balkunas has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Michael E Balkunas has the following 12 expertise
- Mood Disorders
- Sleep Disorders
- Personality Disorder
- Mental Illness
- Bipolar Disorder
- Depressive Disorder
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Clinical Depression
Dr. Michael E Balkunas has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 22
Anyone can be stigmatized for anything, for psychiatrists to claim to be victims is absurd; they’re not any better than their patients. The staff are desensitized to the point of sociopathy, psychopathy, etc. The doctors prescribe medications to themselves and abuse them. The discrimination against people with mental disorders is ridiculous for many reasons. Everything is a symptom according to the staff who abuse drugs, preach sobriety, and laugh at their victims. Medications are drugs, coercing people to use drugs is among the worst of the cruelty. By their own standards in the Diagnostics and Statistics Manual, the most of the staff are mentally ill. Their bias against medications they don’t prescribe is the epitome of contradiction. The staff boast of their credentials and experience that has caused their own neurosis and psychosis. Drugs contraindicate other drugs, causing disease and even death. While claiming trauma informed care, they worsen the symptoms. Psychiatry traumatizes its patients, constantly reminded of past trauma. The unsanitary conditions also don’t help. The many staff hate medicinal cannabis, claiming that its users are lazy, apathetic, paranoid, etc. At the same time, benzodiapines are causing seizures and violence. The symptoms of disorders combined with side effects of medications are blamed on herb, and so on. Shock treatment causes brain damage, with or without decreasing the pain. Memory can be erased by convulsions and pharmacueticals, depression is a side effect of anti-depressants, and the blame is always shifted elsewhere.
26 Years Experience
The School Of Medicine At Stony Brook University Medical Center
Graduated in 1992
Dr. Michael E Balkunas accepts the following insurance providers.
- Anthem CT HMO BlueCare
- Anthem CT Pathway X Enhanced Ind HMO
- Anthem PPO Century Preferred CT
- Anthem Pathway X Ind PPO Direct Access CT
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
- First Health PPO
- Harvard Pilgrim ChoiceNet HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim ElevateHealth HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
Locations & DirectionsThe Hospital of Central Connecticut - New Britain Campus, 100 Grand St, New Britain, CT
Dr. Michael E Balkunas is similar to the following 3 Doctors near New Britain, CT.