Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Gout Get the facts about gout, including the risk factors.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Michael D Sheehan has the following 1 specialty
- Family Medicine
A family practitioner is a doctor who specializes in caring for people of all ages, at all stages of life. Rather than focusing on the treatment of one disease or patient population, family practitioners are often the doctors that people see for their everyday ailments, like cold and flu or respiratory infections, and health screenings. When necessary, family practitioners will provide referrals for conditions that require the expertise of another specialist.
The doctors may also provide physicals, inoculations, prenatal care, treat chronic diseases, like diabetes and asthma, and provide advice on disease prevention.
- Family Planning
- Weight Loss
Showing 5 of 8
Not my mother's official doctor but has been responsible for some of her medicine prescriptions. Twice now this doctor has deliberately switched her over to extremely expensive versions of her medications. First with a temporary blood thinner that she needed following a surgical procedure. Hip surgery #1 she had Warfarin (coumadin) which worked well for her and was affordable. 2nd hip surgery he prescribed one of the most expensive on the market-- Xarelto-- which was about 5 to 600 dollars for a 30 day supply. Oh, and it was NOT covered by her insurance. GEEZ! Thankfully we got it switched by her surgeon back to Warfarin. Just recently after CVS contacted this guy for a blood pressure med refill we found out he'd done it again. He switched her Metoprolol Tartate, which has been working GREAT and was very cheap, with a MUCH more costly version of Metoprolol (Succinate I believe) without even seeing her. I'm sorry but you don't just switch someone's meds like that. BTW...the difference in price was about 5 to 7 for her Tartate vs about 40 for the other. This is for about a 2 week supply mind you. Honestly, I'm almost willing to bet that this guy (or his office) is gettting kickbacks or something from the pharmaceutical companies to promote certain meds. It happens a lot in American medicine. It's a really sucky practice especially when you're talking about the elderly. My mother doesn't have a lot and THEY keep doing this. It causes her stress, worry and a loss of cash she doesn't have. Why are they allowed to get away with this? Just shows that you have to pay attention to your doctors, prescribers, etc. to make sure they're not screwing you over.
Bridges to Excellence: Physician Office Systems Recognition Program
This program is designed to recognize practices that use information systems to enhance the quality of patient care. To obtain Recognition, practices must demonstrate that they have implemented systematic office
NCQA Patient-Centered Medical Home
The patient-centered medical home is a way of organizing primary care that emphasizes care coordination and communication to transform primary care into what patients want it to be. Medical homes can lead to higher quality and lower costs, and can improve patients' and providers' experience of care.
Dr. Sheehan is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
40 Years Experience
University Of Virginia School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1978
Dr. Michael D Sheehan accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem HealthKeepers HMO POS
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry - Bon Secours Tier 1
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- Optima Health OptimaFit Direct HMO
- Optima Vantage HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Optimum Choice Preferred POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsLaburnum Medical Center, 4620 S Laburnum Ave, Henrico, VA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Michael D Sheehan in this video.
Dr. Michael D Sheehan is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Henrico, VA.