Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Michael K Lai has the following 2 specialties
- Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Michael K Lai has the following 10 expertise
- Addison Disease
- Gland Issues
- Diabetes (Types I & II)
- Cushing Disease
Showing 5 of 32
I saw Dr. Lai and was treated so poorly. He is very vague in what he says. When you ask questions he becomes very angry! The day that you became a doctor...isn't that the day you decided to be compassionate and care about the people that come to see you and pay for your services. Left feeling devastated and degraded.
Let me start off by saying that if I ever heard someone say they were going to see Dr. Lai I would absolutely tell them to reconsider. My experience was on the verge of humiliating. Before I can talk about my appointment though, let me point out I waited 45 min past my appointment time to be seen. Once I was finally seen, Dr. Lai spent a few minutes looking at all my past blood work from the last three months, asked about the weight I had gained, and other symptoms I was experiencing. He began to ask me about a typical day's diet and exercise. Since I'm having weight issues out of the blue I've cut my calories to 1200-1300, but according to the Dr. "Common sense should tell me that if I'm not losing weight eating 1200 calories than I need to be eating less". What kind of doctor condones starvation? I was devastated; as anyone who had put on over 40lbs in about 2.5 months. More blood work was ordered, but no thyroid test because he didn't feel it was necessary even though I asked for it. Six weeks after my appointment I finally spoke to someone who was actually able to find my records. I told her I knew the new labs were abnormal because my primary doctor went over them with me and I wanted to know when someone was going to contact me; preferably an endocrinologist. The nurse/tech told me it was my responsibility to call 48-72 hrs after blood work is done. She ignored the fact that I had called 8 times in 6 weeks, but nobody ever knew where the results were. When I finally spoke to Lai he told me that my labs were "for the most part normal and I was probably just stressed getting my blood drawn". I asked about follow up labs to make sure nothing was getting missed and he said no. "My issues can easily be handled with diet and exercise" was the last thing he said to me. Dr. Lai is rude, condescending, is in the practice clearly for the money, and only knows how to make people feel even worse about themselves and their bodies. Thankfully I got in with another doctor last week and she of course tested my thyroid. Guess how those results came back? Hypothyroidism!!! In one week's time I've been put on several medications and have had nothing but support from my new Dr. Hopefully now, after wasting so much time with Lai, my body and I are on the road to recovery.
41 Years Experience
University Of California Los Angeles David Geffen School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1977
St Mary Medical Center
Dr. Michael K Lai accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Shield California
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA PPO
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Dr. Michael K Lai is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Santa Maria, CA.