Get the facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. Michael E Mayfield has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Michael E Mayfield has the following 12 expertise
- Depressive Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Personality Disorder
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Mood Disorders
- Mental Illness
Dr. Michael E Mayfield has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Michael E Mayfield is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 83
I saw him in college. He was the creepiest doctor I've ever had. I was so incredibly uncomfortable being alone in a room with him. He kept prescribing drugs that gave me serious side effects and didn't seem to believe me when I reported them. I told him one made it impossible for me to sleep, so he told me to take more. I don't think he even tried to figure out what was wrong with me. He gave me a diagnosis after a few minutes of me sitting there being too uncomfortable to say much. And then he didn't tell me what my diagnosis was- the counselor in the same office told me.
I have been seeing Dr. Mayfield for about a year now and I LOVE his bedside manner. He is very nice and seems to be genuinely concerned about his patients well being. The only minute issue is that sometimes they overbook him and you'll have to wait a bit to be seen. Once seen though, the wait seems miniscule!
I've known Dr. Mayfield for over 5 yrs. He is a Very Good listener, But most Patients that are Regulars fail to go to "Talk Therapy" (Psychotherapy) and take up time that he isn't always at liberty to be their therapist too. He also needs patients to understand that it's their responsibility to give him feedback about what works for them or not. He is NOT a mindreader. I say this because the truth is MOST patients Do NOT understand how general psychiatry works. It is essential to every client to have friends or family help you evaluate your mental thought patterns (If possible) & or of life circumstances to better enable the assistance of ANY Dr. Including General Practice. The reason I say this is because you, your loved one's, peers, etc. know YOU better than anyone else. Unless you just keep quiet & to yourself. This is not meant for blame, but It Slows down (Wait times) for established patients. I have Only done the "Talk" thing upon changing meds & asking or noting what the results were about the change of meds were. Lots of conditions "mimic" other Mental or Psychological conditions. Get Reg. Bloodwork from your primary Dr. have your Lithium levels checked, thyroid, & visit a Neurologic Dr. this can also help tremendously as well. Best Wishes. Oh, Please answer the phone, Please. I'm not going to hold you up forever.
30 Years Experience
Wake Forest University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1988
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Dr. Michael E Mayfield accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem Blue Open Access POS Alternate Network
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS GA Blue Choice HMO
- BCBS GA Blue Choice PPO
- BCBS GA Blue Open Access POS
- BCBS GA BlueChoice Option POS
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Locations & DirectionsMichael E Mayfield Md, 670 Hillcrest Rd NW Ste 100, Lilburn, GA
Dr. Michael E Mayfield is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Lilburn, GA.