Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Michael M Owens has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Michael M Owens has the following 11 expertise
- Hepatitis C
- Gastrointestinal Cancer
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Abdominal Pain
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Celiac Disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Dr. Michael M Owens has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 14
He was over an hour late to my appointment and spoke so quickly I could barely follow him and had no opportunities to ask questions. I've never felt so rushed at an appointment with any provider before in my life. He sent me for one test for GI issues, then had his nurse call me back and tell me to see a dietician, and his nurse refused to make a follow-up appointment for me to discuss my results, even though I specifically requested one. Then the nurse proceeds to call me back again and tell me that he recommends that I stop taking my medication for an unrelated medical issue (even though I've been on it for years) and to start taking benzos (like Ativan or Xanax) instead for GI issues, even though this is anxiety medication and not for GI issues at all, and I don't want to be on any anxiety medication. It was a terrible experience and I don't recommend him to anyone. In fact, I highly recommend you stay away from him.
Dr. Michael Owens and his office not helpful: recommended more expensive test then I needed, lied to me about how he would submit codes to my insurance company, never did a personal follow-up, had his assistant try to schedule an unnecessary surgery, his office did not send me notes when requested in writing, and I have been proactively trying to get insurance coding corrected for over one year with people telling me they will have supervises call me back and they never do.
Nice person, nice staff but it was very obvious he didn't care to help me at all. Test results were sat on until I called asking why I hadn't received any communication. He kept ordering tests and the Insurance bills kept piling up, but never did we get any closer to a solution. After the tests were done, they just told me to watch for changes and to call another doctor (this will be the 3rd time I was passed off during this experience). He would not talk to me or meet with me after, I received no diagnosis or even ideas of the problem. He's good at doing tests but not so much at the actually helping of people. Overall a very disappointing experience.
My previous colonoscopy was unsuccessful meaning I had to follow up with a barium enema - ugh. Dr. Owens thoroughly explained to me why he believed he could perform a successful and complete colonoscopy on me, and I believed him because he was very detailed in his explanations. He also never got defensive when I asked him pointed questions, and he openly answered my questions. The best part is that he was indeed able to perform a complete colonoscopy with no complications. My appointment was for 8:30 and I was home by 10:15! I am referring all of my friends to Dr. Owens based on my experience.
After going to other doctors who did not know what was wrong with me and one who messed me up, Dr. Owens knew right away what was wrong and fixed what the other doctor did wrong and corrected the original problem. Very compassiote, quick,and easy to talk to. Seemed truly interested in me. I recommend him highly.
21 Years Experience
University Of Kansas School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1997
University Of Washington School Of Medicine
Dr. Michael M Owens accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Health Net OR CommunityCare
- Health Net OR PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- Moda Health Community Care Network
- Moda Health Connexus
- Moda Health Synergy Network
- PacificSource PSN
- PacificSource SmartChoice
- PacificSource SmartHealth Oregon Members
- Premera Heritage Signature
- Premera Heritage and Heritage Plus 1
- Premera LifeWise Connect
Providence Health System
- Providence PPO
Regence Health Plans
- Regence MyChoice NW
- Regence OR Preferred Provider Network
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsWest Hills GI Assoc / Parent, 9701 SW Barnes Rd Ste 300, Portland, OR
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Michael M Owens in this video.
Dr. Michael M Owens is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Portland, OR.