Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Acne Important facts about acne and what causes it.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Michael A Rater has the following 3 specialties
- Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Adolescent Medicine
Adolescent specialists are doctors who have advanced training in the health issues that adolescents face. These physicians deal with issues like the onset of puberty, reproductive health, eating disorders, irregular periods, mood changes, drugs and pressures from home and school. For girls entering adulthood, adolescent specialists can act as both pediatrician and gynecologist, so they only have to see one doctor for all their needs.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
Dr. Michael A Rater has the following 12 expertise
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Depressive Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
- Birth Control
- Substance Abuse
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Eating Disorders
Dr. Michael A Rater is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 23
Dr. Rater is an expert in his field. His work ethic is unreal, and his ability to help his patients is what you would expect from a complete professional. After seeing Dr. Rater I felt like I was listened to, examined properly and felt at ease as he properly diagnosed me and treated me correctly. I have Dr. Rater in my highest regards as a Psychiatrist.
Dr. Rater is extremely rude, does not make eye contact, frequently interrupts patients, takes phone calls while you're speaking with him and simply walks out on meetings with no explanation. He did not even remember what medication he had prescribed me until I reminded him, because apparently he could not be bothered to so much as glance at the chart before or during our appointment. Did not bother to explain the side effects of said medication, or take the time to answer any questions whatsoever. I felt dehumanized, disrespected, and unsafe letting a man who treats patients as tedious annoyances rather than people have a hand in my treatment, and this seems to be the norm for his other patients that I've spoken to.
Some people should not be in the medical field. Dr. Rater was abusive, condescending, HUGE EGO, and the things he had posted on his face book page joking about getting high on bath salts was extemely disturbing. He has since then removed this info. But once on Face book people have access to maintaining copies. This man needs the help he trained for. SCARY...
Michael Rater presents as dismissive, condescending, and fails to adequately review medical reports/history made available to him. I wholeheartedly concur he is nothing more than a hired gun for massachusetts state agencies, in an effort to absolve themselves of their culpabilities and resulting responsibilities to injured workers.
25 Years Experience
University Of Wisconsin School Of Medicine And Public Health
Graduated in 1993
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & DirectionsMichael Allen Rater Md, 161 5th St, Cambridge, MA
Dr. Michael A Rater is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Cambridge, MA.