Get the facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Michael W Smith has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Michael W Smith has the following 12 expertise
- Personality Disorder
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Mental Illness
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Mood Disorders
- Depressive Disorder
Dr. Michael W Smith has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Michael W Smith is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 34
My daughter just came home from a visit to Dr. Smith. She has suffered from depression for 15 years...has been on numerous medications, seen other psychiatrists and psychologists for many years....Nothing seems to help! Her physician had her on a new medication recently, which also didn't help, made her more anxious than without it, so she decided to see what Dr. Smith might suggest. As an earlier reviewer I just read, said, 'HE WAS HORRIBLE". He blamed her for her problems, her low energy and weight gain...kept insisting, "You need to get a job!".....Yeah, get a job when you can barely get out of bed because of your depression. I cannot believe how a a psychiatrist who supposedly studies mental illness can have so little understanding of depression...and so little empathy for the patient. STAY AWAY FROM THIS MAN!!!!!!
After reading some reviews I was a little weary before my appoitnment. Thankfully, my experience was completley positive. Doctor Smith's bedside manner was just fine. He is a mellow guy so maybe some of the reviews were just due to misunderstanding him. I thought he was nice, attentive, gave me ample time, and was encouraging. I felt better than I have in a while after leaving his offce. Renewed hope and quite optimistic.
Patients' Choice Award (2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
30 Years Experience
University Of Chicago Division Of The Biological Sciences The Pritzker School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1988
Uc Davis Medical Center
Dr. Michael W Smith accepts the following insurance providers.
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
Locations & DirectionsMichael William Smith Md, 2291 W March Ln Ste D200, Stockton, CA
Dr. Michael W Smith is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Stockton, CA.