Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- Childhood Asthma Childhood asthma facts, including causes, symptoms & complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Mitchell H Katz has the following 2 specialties
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
Pediatric gastroenterologists can treat a variety of diseases and conditions in infants and children related to their liver, pancreas or intestines. If your child has severe or recurrent abdominal pain, constipation or diarrhea, a pediatric gastroenterologist can help you get to the bottom of it. They can also help identify the many possible causes of failure to thrive in infants.
Other common conditions they treat include Crohn's Disease, inflammatory bowel disease, liver disease, short gut syndrome and hepatitis C, as well as nutritional disorders like celiac disease and lactose intolerance. In order to diagnose and treat your child’s condition, gastroenterologists can perform colonoscopies and other diagnostic testing before deciding on the best treatment plan.
A pediatrician is a doctor who specializes in the regular care of children, as well as the diagnosis and treatment of illness in children. Young patients are often more complicated to treat because they are still growing and developing.
While pediatricians may sub-specialize in specific therapy areas like oncology, surgery, ophthalmology, and anesthesiology, in general, pediatricians provide services like vaccinations, health exams, and treatment of common ailments and injuries. In addition, pediatricians are trained to handle the complex emotional and behavioral issues faced by children, especially during puberty.
Pediatricians normally see their patients from birth until the age of 18, although some may agree to treat patients into their early 20s, if requested.
Showing 5 of 8
He is amazing! My daughter is very thin, so other GIs immediately labeled her as having an eating disorder. Dr. Katz listened and understood that she felt horrible, and that she wanted to eat, but the nausea was really bad. He switched her meds around and gave her her life back. I remember his excitement at finally seeing a smile on my child's face when she started improving.
Very short with my family and I. Couldng seem to explain the procedure to us at all. He really acted like he didn't care about what our family was going through at all. I also witnessed him lash out at several other staff members. Really painted a picture of the man he is. Overall very unpleased. Choc hospital is a great place to bring your kids just really dissapointed in this doctor.
I absolutely love Dr Katz as our daughter's Ped GI doctor. The nurse, however, left me on hold for 20 minutes and then hung up on me. I called back and was then put on hold for another 30 minutes. I asked her to please please please call me back when she finishes with her last patient and guess what...she didn't. My daughter just needed a simple refill of her prescription which was faxed over to their office 3 days in advance. Now it's the weekend and I'm unable to give my baby girl her much needed medication. I blame the nurse on this not Dr Katz. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.
My daughter is severely disabled, so we see specialists in just about every field. Dr. Katz is by far the BEST doctor we have! His personality is a bit gruff so it may take a little getting used to, but you can tell he truly LOVES his patients. My daughter always gets a kiss on the forehead, and his full attention. I recommend Dr. Katz to anyone who needs a Pediatric GI!
Patients' Choice Award (2014, 2011, 2013)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2014, 2011)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
41 Years Experience
State University Of New York Downstate Medical Center College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1977
Mount Sinai Hospital
Dr. Mitchell H Katz accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus Savenet
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA Local Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Local Access + HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Trio ACO HMO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsChildrens Hospital Orange County, 1201 W La Veta Ave, Orange, CA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Mitchell H Katz in this video.
Dr. Mitchell H Katz is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Orange, CA.