Dr. Murry Cohen Is this you?

2.5

Neutral

Have you seen Dr. Murry Cohen?

horrible

Posted on October 5th, 2016

he is a strange man. i just go to him for my meds

Thought he was great....

Posted on October 3rd, 2016

It has been several years since I left messages asking for more meds even though I knew it wasn't possible. That was a huge mistake. Without warning, I received a long letter telling me he would no longer treat me because I kept "demanding" more medication. He made recommendations including in-patient de-tox. I don't remember if he recommended facilities, but I do remember him listing names of doctors, therapists and facilities he did NOT recommend - similarly, early on he gave me a list of therapists. The list included the names of therapists he would not work with. (As an aside-I remember him criticizing a patient calling them a professional patient. I'm not sure what that meant, but it makes me wonder how often I am brought up as the patient who always "demanded" more medicine). Why would I take his advice without the opportunity to discuss it? The first time I met him, I asked if he wanted to do med checks because I knew it might be easy for me to take higher doses than prescribed. His answer was that the med check would be that I would run out. I feel like the combination of medicine he prescribed might have helped me more than other combinations I had taken. I can't say he is a bad doctor, but I have to say that the way he dismissed me was cruel. It has been a very difficult several years. I am still searching for a doctor near Fredericksburg. I have been traveling to NW DC for a few years. I guess I would recommend Dr Cohen if you are confident you will make no mistakes. Recently I was driving with my teenager for his appointment to see his doctor. I did not realize until that ride how Dr. Cohen and my mistake had impacted others around me. My son thought he should lie to his doctor because he was afraid the doctor would not treat him if he told the truth. Let me be clear that I made the mistake of using the medication differently than prescribed. I made the mistake of letting my son overhear that a doctor refused to continue treatment. Unfortunately, Dr Cohen's last encounter (via the letter) did lasting damage to my family and me. I have to rate him very low because, even though he treated me effectively, his response to my mistake negated everything he did for me up to that point.

The world's worst psychiatrist?

Posted on July 23rd, 2015

Dr. Cohen does not seem happy in his work. He has no empathy or even interest in his patients, if my experience is anything to go by. He spent the initial appointment with irrelevant questions about where I had lived, when I moved, did I live in this place first or that place first, etc. He didn't even ask what was going on with me currently. When I finally, in desperation, suggested we talk about what treatment he had in mind, his response was that my time was almost up. The most he would offer was that we would spend several months getting me off of my current ineffective anti-depressant. Then we'd try something else, not specifying what. This man should not be practicing medicine. No matter what your reason for seeing a psych, you are strongly recommended to find someone else.

Posted on March 19th, 2015

Rude receptionist. Messy office. Unprofessional. He is terrible.

super cool

Posted on March 16th, 2015

Wants to help you better your quality of life.

Terrible!!!

Posted on March 10th, 2015

Tried to follow up as a family member and was asked to send email with important information to allow the Dr to better assist my mother. office staff was very rude and no response or acknowledgment of the information provided. Very distasteful and no concern for patient health!!

He is GREAT!

Posted on January 22nd, 2014

The previous responders appear to have the wrong definition of what a psychiatrist does. Initially a psychiatrist will discuss what is going on both personally and physically. This is to determine a diagnosis of the possible issue/issues. I am a current patient of Dr. Cohen and have been for 2 years. Did he diagnose me right away, of course not. That's not how it works. Dr. Cohen took his time, we scheduled weekly appointments at first. He asked a lot of questions and listened attentively to my answers. I was diagnosed on my 4th or 5th visit. Since then, all my appointments are about the medications. Dr. Cohen always goes over my current medications and asks if I have had to start any other medication. Example: I blow out a disc in my back and let him know what I was taking, he wrote it down in my chart. Each appointment since then he has asked if I still take them. If ANY doctor does not know the complete list of medications one is taking, including vitamins and supplements,then a mistake of interaction is bound to happen. The longest I have ever waited in 2 years is 20 minutes and I have no problem with this. It's because I know he isn't constantly checking our time and if I need just a minute or 3 extra he will. I'm sorry this went long but I feel I must stand up against the negative remarks because Dr. Cohen is a popular and well respected psychiatrist in our area. He has make a remarkable difference in my life.

Posted on December 21st, 2013

Dropped patient, because receptionist claimed patient was disruptive in waiting room, simply because of a 2 hr. delay for an appointment. Patient only asked to reschedule at a later time. Dr. Cohen dropped patient, because of the need to leave and reschedule without notice due to doctor being two hours behind schedule. Patient was neither loud, nor disruptive. Receptionist disliked patient due to having to bill two insurance companies. This doctor is not recommended, especially if you are under age 30;

Very satisfied

Posted on January 17th, 2013

When I read the reviews below I was wondering if we saw the same person. My experience was absolutely positive in all regards. So before you blame the doctor maybe you should look at yourselves first. Maybe doctor is just reacting to your negative attitudes. There is no magic bullet, psychiatrist cannot eliminate your problem, just help YOU to deal with it. I am happy that I found someone with Dr Cohen's experience and understanding to help me.

He's a psychiatrist, not a counselor, people

Posted on March 5th, 2012

Okay all these negative reviews are a bit dramatic. I am seeing dr Cohen for anxiety and add. Although I feel he has done a nice job talking through and listening to my issues, he is not a therapist as some of these reviewers seem to think. A psychiatrist is like an a mechanic, they diagnose the issue an attempt to fix it with medicine. He is straight to the point as he should be. If you want someone to attempt to physically fix issues with your brain, dr Cohen is an excellent choice. If you need to talk to someone about your feelings, see a therapist/counselor. That's what they do.

HORRIBLE!

Posted on June 10th, 2010

Horrible experience. Told him I was breast feeding and could not take all the medications prescribed. He gave me new ones and said they would be fine. Found out they could have seriously hurt my baby. I stopped taking the medications and missed ONE appointment. Got a letter from him saying I needed to find a new doctor. A psychiatrist who knows I have abandonment issues "leaves" me b/c I miss 1 appt. and don't take meds that could hurt my baby. Also his reception is the rudest person I have ever met! She is horrible, rude, and mean. I use to call and leave messages as they never answer the phone there. You don't receive calls back unless you leave multiple messages and even then it takes days. I left about 20 messages for copies of my records and heard not one thing back! I've been waiting for those records a year and a half now. All over experience was the worst with ANY medical professional or their office.

Only interested in writing scripts and sending you out the door....

Posted on December 28th, 2009

As we have a lack of good medical professionals in this area, I have continued to see Dr. Cohen for several years. It is obviously past time for me to seek out another psychiatrist and have only delayed in doing so because I don't know how to effectively search for a new one. I visit him every six months and he simply renews my scripts.....whenever I have tried to discuss anything other than the effects of the meds, he is quick to dismiss me with some comment that makes it clear that my time is over. Once, when I had a true emergency, and he was not on duty, I was forced to call the # that his service referred me to....very understandable, of course. I must say that the stranger I ended up speaking with was more compassionate to me in 20 minutes than Dr. Cohen has been to me in all of these years. At my next visit with him, I mentioned to him that I would like it to be passed on how much the person had helped me during such a desperate time. He looked at me and said...."who did you talk with? I've always wondered who they refer you to when I'm not on duty." Enough said?