Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. Neil D Smith has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Neil D Smith has the following 12 expertise
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Hepatitis C
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Hepatitis B
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Abdominal Pain
- Celiac Disease
Showing 3 of 12
Dr Smith is a nice person. His diagnosis methodology is the routine of using standard tests starting at the "A's" and keep going toward "Z" until the right one triggers a result of interest. It might be better if the Dr would put some thought in before the battery of tests based on the symptoms and eliminate some tests that aren't necessary nor have any bearing to the symptoms exhibited. I've been seeing him for over a year and we still don't have a diagnosis. Options are very/too limited here in midcoast Maine. That said, he probably has too many people to see to spend the needed amount of time with patients. The receptionist is not very professional and I'm surprised she is in that line of work, especially for a doctor's office.
Dr. Smith is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
38 Years Experience
Rush Medical College Of Rush University Medical Center
Graduated in 1980
Yale University School Of Medicine
Dr. Neil D Smith accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO