Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- Schizophrenia Facts about schizophrenia, including the different types.
- Tardive Dyskinesia Facts about Tardive Dyskinesia, including symptoms and treatment
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Neil Merkatz
Dr. Neil Merkatz, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Port Saint Lucie, FL. He has 23 years of experience. His specialties include Psychiatry and Child Psychiatry. Dr. Merkatz is affiliated with Indian River Memorial Hospital, Port Saint Lucie Hospital and Columbia Hospital. He speaks English.
Dr. Neil Merkatz has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
- Child Psychiatry
A pediatric/adolescent psychiatrist is a doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating mental and emotional conditions in young children and adolescents.
These specialists study psychopathological disorders and their causes in order to prevent and identify them in their patients. These disorders may be caused by biological, psychosocial, genetic, demographic, or environmental factors, a patient's history, or any combination of these factors.
Pediatric/adolescent psychiatrists treat patients through a variety of interventions including medical treatment, behavior therapy, cognitive-behavior therapy, problem solving techniques, family therapy, parent training, psychodynamic therapy, and consultation with the patient's primary care physician or school professionals.
Dr. Neil Merkatz has the following 7 expertise
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
- Depressive Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
Showing 5 of 67
All of you kooks who said he was a bad doctor r because u r truly insane..and not even God could help you. He was known as one of the best doctors in the tri-county areas all of u ..thanks 4 a good laugh.. Makes me sad there are so many weird close minded people out there.. Id love to get one of ur names and numbers .. You ppl make me sick
I do not recommend Dr Merkatz. He has no bedside manner and no empathy for his patients and their families. He said my daughter would be in and out of mental facilities for the rest of her life-he said this when she was SEVEN YEARS OLD. I was devastated. He was WRONG!!! She is 19, stable and in college. Shame on you Dr Merkatz!
he is nice
While the office staff can be a bit overworked and indifferent, Dr. Merkatz has been the best I've encountered in S. FL. I'v suffered from bi-polar disorder most of my life. A few years ago I has a bad life experience that caused me to tip over into a full blow serious depressive episode and with a lot of time a adjustment of medication, Dr. Merkatz has me in a place that allows me to excel in my career and personal life. I have recommended him to others who have had the same experience and will continue to do so. I don't think it would it going too far to say that the man saved my life.
Dr. Merkatz is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Indian River Memorial Hospital
Port Saint Lucie Hospital
Savannas Hosp, Port St Lucie, Fl
23 Years Experience
Graduated in 1990
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & Directions8241 S US Highway 1, Port Saint Lucie, FL
Dr. Neil Merkatz is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Port Saint Lucie, FL.