Dr. Neil Schaffner Is this you?

3.9

Have you seen Dr. Neil Schaffner?

SHORT MAN COMPLEX ... BAD!!!!!

Posted on December 13th, 2017

Let me start by saying that I have had a thyroid defiency starting from age 21 to now 34. I am well educated in my thyroid functionality or lack thereof. I have relocated from Florida and had a hard time finding a endocrinologist. Once I finally found one that I thought was credible I made a appointment. Wow was I so disappointed on every level. First thing you should know.. He doesn't treat the symptoms of your thyroid... to name a few.. anxiety, sleep deprivation, hot flashes, dry skin or even hair loss. You have to go to your primary physician for that.. Isn't he a specialists?? Every time I have a appointment with this Hobbit Man of a doctor I feel discouraged and bewildered by his incompetence to listen to his patient. I have just recently had a child and it was a miracle with all the fertility challenges that come with a underactive thyroid. I have 4 nodules on my thyroid all non cancerous thus far.... but after having a child and medication changes I feel pain and pressure on my collar bone and requested a sonogram to measure the growth of the nodules to make sure everything is ok. I have had symptom after symptom ..and expressed this to this Dr multiple times. On this last appointment in as lil as five min he told me "Well What Lil Missy Wants Lil Missy Gets" referring to my request for a sonogram. Then he proceeded to tell me that " Your insurance carrier probably wouldn't cover my request because it's a unnessasary request and procedure." I explained to him that a lot of endocrinologist only treat the black white testing and that I would like for him to listen to me and treat my symptoms.. (as any good doctor should do) he felt my neck for like 2 seconds told me to "Swolllow" and then said "There isn't anything wrong with you" .. (I know my body!!!. ) The last time I felt this way I had they found 4 nodules. I started to try to discuss medication options. I asked to be put back on a medication that isn't covered by my carrier and I always pay out of pocket for it. This Dr told me that all the medications we started to discuss "Are the same" and I corrected him and said well .. that is incorrect..one of these medications is liquid based and gluten free also you are unable to get a non generic. .....And I could not believe it when he said to me "Well do you have a celiac aversion?" I said No. (BY THE WAY IF HE READ RECORDS HE WOULD KNOW I DONT and HAVE BEEN TESTED) . ..He said .."Well what does it matter?" .. my mouth dropped .. I asked him for copies of my blood results and he said condisendigly ..."Oh of course.. Oh sure those are always nice to have" and then said "Ok we are done the front desk will see you". I was bewildered. Mind you the whole time I had my 10 month old son with me and he didn't even seem to care that I was visibly upset and trying to maintain a clam for my child. It felt like he was doing it more because my son was there and he could get away with the behavior. I will be flying to FL from now on to see my old endocrinologist because that is how incompetent this man is. Dont risk your health.

Posted on March 16th, 2017

Great endocrinologist and very knowledgeable.

Posted on June 24th, 2016

On our first visit Dr. Schaffner was personable and seemed to care about my daughters condition with thyroid cancer. On our second visit It was like Dr. Jekyell and Mr. Hyde or should I say Dr. JERKell. He seemed annoyed as soon as he came in the room. (which we waited for two hours after our scheduled appt. time) I told him my daughter was experiencing fatigue and depression. He became condescending and told her straight up to learn to "deal with it" their was nothing he could do. C a sleep dr!

Was not impressed

Posted on September 12th, 2015

I heard good things about Dr. Schaffner. The Urologist I was seeing was retiring so I needed a new doctor to treat my low testosterone. Because I am in my 30s Dr. Schaffner accused me of steriod abuse because I had low T. Even thou I had documented blood work from my previous doctor, he said it was insignificant. He refused to fill my prescriptions that I have been prescribed for a couple years now. I told him he needed to call my previous doc and talk with him. He said he wouldn't because hes a urologist and shouldnt have been treating me in the first place. So if you are an elderly patient who fits the norm according to him, you should be fine. If you are however like me who has an unique case, don't waste your time on this jerk because he'll write you off as drug seeking behavior before ever reviewing your file...

Posted on February 4th, 2015

Dr Schaffner is the BEST endo Dr I've ever been to!

back in business

Posted on December 12th, 2014

I'm super excited to find out that Dr. Schaffner has reopened private practice in Opelika, AL! I've already switched back to him. For those of you that love him, he's back.

Posted on May 29th, 2014

Extremely egotistical...Primary concern seems to be diabetes..."Metabolism" should NOT be included within his medical practice office title because he projects NO desire to assist with that area although requested by patient...Extremely closed-minded to assist with medical problems addressed by patient...Makes adjustment for thyroid problem...BUT...desires to do NOTHING else...

Growth hormone patient missing her doctor..

Posted on September 25th, 2012

I had serious problems getting diagnosed until I met this doctor. Just one visit and several tests and we had a solution. I started feeling better almost immediately. Since he left his practice I have been seeing another Endo in Atlanta, but that doctor changed my treatment. I am much worst now and I can't convince him to change my treatment back. If anyone finds a way to get in to see Dr Schaffner please share the word with his patients that were on growth hormone treatment. We really need his help.

Ex patient

Posted on May 11th, 2010

Dr. Shaffner left his private practice to go to work for the VA. This left a lot of his patients totally screwed. Have been trying to find an endo for quite a while now, and no Doctor in Montgomery wants to take any of his ex-patients. I wonder why?

Too bad he's closing his practice effective 7/10/2009

Posted on June 1st, 2009

Good doctore, but he's closing his practice to work woth the VA Hospital - go figure....

Posted on April 29th, 2009

Seems very caring. I can't go back as he does not accept insurance and he is too expensive. With the bad economy I'm sure he will lose busines by not accepting insurance.

I came away most impressed with his caring attitude

Posted on July 15th, 2008

That was a huge difference from my experiences with another endocrinologist in this city. I feel like I will have a true care "team" after leaving his office.