Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Arrhythmia Facts about arrythmia, inclding the types, symptoms and causes.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chemotherapy A breakdown of the types of chemotherapy & potential side effects.
- Coronary Artery Angioplasty with Stent Coronary artery angioplasty with stent facts, including who needs it.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis Facts about deep vein thrombosis (DVT), including symptoms & causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Nellis A Smith
Dr. Nellis A Smith, MD is a Doctor primarily located in East Palo Alto, CA. He has 38 years of experience. His specialties include Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease and Nuclear Cardiology. Dr. Smith is affiliated with California Pacific Medical Center - California Campus, El Camino Hospital Mountain View Campus and Seton Medical Center. He speaks English.
Dr. Nellis A Smith has the following 3 specialties
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Nuclear Cardiology
Rooted in general cardiology, nuclear cardiologists specialize in a specific, non-invasive imaging technique that's used to diagnose heart disease, evaluate how well your heart is pumping blood, or determine the size and place of a past heart attack.
They’re able to take pictures and video of your heart during stress tests, and in resting states, that allow them to diagnose patients as well as recommended treatments, medication and additional testing that might be needed. They often work closely with radiologists to assess the damage of a past heart attack or the patient's risk for future heart attacks.
Dr. Nellis A Smith has the following 24 expertise
- Chest Pain (Angina)
- High Cholesterol
- Preoperative Care
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
- Heart Failure
- Pacemaker (Artificial Cardiac Pacing)
- Unstable Angina
- Lipid Disorders
- Nuclear Medicine
- Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
- Heart Block
- Heart Diseases
- Cardiac Arrhythmias
- Heart Valve Diseases
- Blood Clot
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia)
- Heart Attack
Dr. Nellis A Smith is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 5
This is perhaps the rudest physician I have ever spoken to. He makes arbitrary statements that are unfounded, discrediting others in his profession and demonstrating his general lack of caring for humanity over the age of 70. I am glad to see that others have had a good experience with him, as perhaps something terrible had happened to him the day that I spoke with him and he decided to simply unleash the breadth of his arrogance and ignorance.
I have been a patient of Dr. Smith since 2003. I feel VERY fortunate that he was the on call Cardiologist at Sequioa Hospital when I was admitted with CHF and Cardiomyapathy immediately following the birth of my twins. I feel that his expertise saved my life! He is one of only two Doctors I would trust implicitly. He is not only brilliant as a doctor, but he is also just a wonderful person in general! Dr. Smith will spend as much time with you as needed, and will make time for you via phone if necessary. I can not say enough good things about him!!!
Dr. Smith is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
38 Years Experience
University Of Texas Medical Branch School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1980
Stanford University School Of Medicine
Dr. Nellis A Smith accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
Locations & DirectionsSilicon Valley Cardiology, 1950 University Ave Ste 160, East Palo Alto, CA
Dr. Nellis A Smith is similar to the following 3 Doctors near East Palo Alto, CA.