Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Acne Important facts about acne and what causes it.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. Nelson M Handal has the following 2 specialties
- Adolescent Medicine
Adolescent specialists are doctors who have advanced training in the health issues that adolescents face. These physicians deal with issues like the onset of puberty, reproductive health, eating disorders, irregular periods, mood changes, drugs and pressures from home and school. For girls entering adulthood, adolescent specialists can act as both pediatrician and gynecologist, so they only have to see one doctor for all their needs.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
Dr. Nelson M Handal has the following 16 expertise
- Depressive Disorder
- Eating Disorders
- Migraine Disorders
- Substance Abuse
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Birth Control
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Sleep Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
Dr. Nelson M Handal has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 2 of 5
Dr. Handal was very accurate with my child's problem, He was very blunt with him, he needed it. His predictions about his future if he didn't seek and want help are coming true. Unfortunately is is was not a happy future Dr. Handal predicted. The office mainly sees medicaid patients, us included, it was very busy and hectic there. You did not get a lot of one on one time with Dr. Handal. They filled out your paperwork and put it in the computer while you sat there in the back office so that ate up most of the visit. The therapist was nice but it was but it is the same lets talk and then the same step 1 , step 2, like they were reading it from a book. If you could get more than 10 minutes a month with Dr. Handal I think things would have been much better. Be careful not to see the other, lady, Psychiatrist in the office, she is awful, She bragged she got paid $300 per hour, billable, like we even needed to know that. She must have had an inferiority complex to even tell us that. Most of the time with her was talking about her.
Patients' Choice Award (2008)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Suny Health Science Center
Dr. Nelson M Handal accepts the following insurance providers.
- BCBS AL PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Locations & DirectionsDothan Behavioral Medical Clinic, 101 Medical Dr, Dothan, AL
Dr. Nelson M Handal is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Dothan, AL.