Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Acne Important facts about acne and what causes it.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Nicole Poliquin has the following 2 specialties
- Adolescent Medicine
Adolescent specialists are doctors who have advanced training in the health issues that adolescents face. These physicians deal with issues like the onset of puberty, reproductive health, eating disorders, irregular periods, mood changes, drugs and pressures from home and school. For girls entering adulthood, adolescent specialists can act as both pediatrician and gynecologist, so they only have to see one doctor for all their needs.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
Dr. Nicole Poliquin has the following 12 expertise
- Birth Control
- Depressive Disorder
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Eating Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
- Substance Abuse
Dr. Nicole Poliquin has 0 board certified specialties
Showing 5 of 9
I went to this doctor about ten years ago for depression issues. Basically the only thing she did was prescribe me SSRIs and the anti-psychotic Zyprexa (she should not have done this, according to another doctor that I go to now). The SSRIs caused havoc with my life, for one, they screwed up my libido. After leaving this doctor, I quit all psych meds cold turkey and started taking 5-HTP as recommended by my new doctor. I have never felt better in my life. Haven't been depressed for years since I started taking 5-HTP and eating more vegetables (oh and another thing--Dr. Poliquin never talked about, at all, the importance of a good diet in treating depression. Let me tell you, a good diet really helps. I've quit soft drinks and this seems to help a LOT). Anyway, Dr. Poliquin never told me about 5-HTP or anything else--she only talked about SSRIs. I hope this helps anyone who is struggling with this doctor.
Have been going to this Dr. for almost 2 years and have been continually disappointed and annoyed but hated the idea of repeating entire medical history with someone else. Dr. Poliquin never remembers her patients (or even glances at medical files beforehand). She spends each appt. as if you are a new patient, reading through medical file for 20 min. and asking the same questions at each appointment "So, what are you taking?" "what was your diagnosis?" Very unprofessional and a huge time waster! Also, Dr. Poliquin is not as knowledgeable as she should be about psychiatric meds, their side effects, interactions and withdrawal effects. Leaves it to the patient to research the meds and then argues with and denies the facts found.
Patients' Choice Award (2008, 2009)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & Directions
Dr. Nicole Poliquin is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Los Angeles, CA.