Get the facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Nihal De Silva has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Showing 5 of 19
dr desilva is a carig dr. i have been to many psyciatrists and had to change several times. he sees me on time and has never turned me away. if i called him, he always made sure i was able to see him. he came into the office when i was having a bad attack. he makes sure the meds he puts you on are the ones that will help you in the best way. he had to change my meds a few times cause they either stopped working or i had a reaction to them. he always made sure i was helped whether it was scheduled or not. i thank god i found him. even when he wasn't taking my insurance, he helped me. he knew i needed the help. he will always be my doctor no matter where i move. thank you
I have been seeing Dr. DeSilva for over 7 years for depression. He has always been "there" for me, night or day. I can't that about too many doctors. He understands the changes it can go through and carefully, ever so carefully monitors my medications. He has seen me through family illnesses, deaths, days of feeling so low I can't think straight. And we talk about things until I can handle each situation. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. DeSilva.
I can only say that I entered his office a total mess, severe depression and so many other things going on that it would take too long to write. Before the first med ever went down my throat, Dr. DeSilva had spoken to and comforted me in a manner that eased my pain. I could at least understand where I was at and was ready to proceed with treatment, understanding what to expect. He has constantly monitored and changed, on occasion, what medications I have had to take. He is always concerned, and not just a facade, a genuine caring man who I will never be able to thank enough for giving me back my life.
49 Years Experience
University Of Colombo
Graduated in 1969
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & Directions
Dr. Nihal De Silva is similar to the following 3 Doctors near San Diego, CA.