Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Opkar S Chawla has the following 1 specialty
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Opkar S Chawla has the following 6 expertise
- Weight Loss
Showing 5 of 16
I have used Dr. Chawla for over 20 years and trust him 100% with my healthcare. He is always willing to spend time and answer any questions I may have about my condition and/or treatment and I have found him to be very kind and understanding and knowledgeable. Three years ago I had a biopsy for a growth on my scalp done at referred specialist's office and when I returned from my vacation of 2 weeks, not only had the specialist called several times, but Dr. Chawla's assistant and then he himself called me. I had arrived home late Saturday and intended to call him Monday morning, but Sunday afternoon Dr. Chawla called me and told me he had set up an appointment with him for Monday and the Oncologist on Thursday since I was diagnosed with aggressive Melanoma Cancer and had to be treated/operated on as soon as possible and determine my treatment course. I feel this was very kind since he could have had his staff contact me Monday morning. Thanksfully, it is 3 years since the operation and everything is in remission so far. But for a physician to go that far out of their way for a patient is really a wonderful thing. Thank you, Dr. Chawla. I am so glad you are my primary care physician!
I came to this office for medical advice. I was really disappointed with Dr. Opkar Chawla's over all attitude and demeanor during my visit. I was continuously talked down to and seemingly made out to know nothing about my own medical treatment ( treatment I have been receiving for 9 years). As a well educated young woman, I believe this to be a cultural issue. After examination we went to his office to fill out some additional information and was asked if I drank alcohol. The answer was no since I am on a moderately high continuous dose of blood thinners. For some reason that answer was no good enough the first time around and was asked again
Dr. Chawla is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
35 Years Experience
Goa Medical College
Graduated in 1983
Hahnemann University Hospital
Dr. Opkar S Chawla accepts the following insurance providers.
Capital District Physicians Health Plan
- CDPHP New York State of Health - Small Business
- CDPHP PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Connecticare Flex Connecticut
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
MVP Health Plan
- MVP Preferred PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- Oxford Freedom
- Oxford Liberty
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Dr. Opkar S Chawla is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Centereach, NY.