Vitals cannot verify whether or not this professional is currently practicing. We recommend that you attempt to contact the provider to verify their status. Please email us at email@example.com if you have any additional information.
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Owen Smith
Dr. Owen Smith, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Kansas City, MO, with other offices in Kansas City, MO and Overland Park, KS (and 2 other locations). He has 37 years of experience. His specialties include Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine. Dr. Smith is affiliated with Truman Medical Center Hospital Hill, Saint Luke's South Hospital and Children's Mercy Hospital. He speaks English.
Dr. Owen Smith has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Hepatitis C
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Ulcerative Colitis
Showing 5 of 5
I was a patient of Dr. Smith's for roughly a year and a half. Dr. Smith was very unhelpful and his nurse Jenny was very unprofessional. It took them days and sometimes more than a week to return a phone call. Many times Dr. Smith was unprepared for my appointments and only spent about 5 minutes with me although I had waited 45+ minutes on several occasions. The customer service at this office is a joke. I am a UC patient and was in pain for several days before any action was taken by the office. Even calling in a prescription became a hassle for them. I would highly recommend if you care about your health or the health of a loved one that you find another office. I was referred to this office by another physician and made sure that he does not refer anyone to this office again.
Dr. Smith is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Truman Medical Center Hospital Hill
Saint Luke's South Hospital
Children's Mercy Hospital
Truman Medical Center Lakewood
St Lukes Hospital Of Kansas City
Bates County Memorial Hospital
Saint Luke's Hospital
St Lukes Hospital-East Campus
Saint Luke's South
Heartland Spine & Specialty Hospital
Saint Luke`s Cancer Institute
37 Years Experience
University of Nebraska
Graduated in 1976
Dr. Owen Smith accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Owen Smith in this video.
Dr. Owen Smith is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Kansas City, MO.