Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Acne Important facts about acne and what causes it.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Patricia A Toups has the following 3 specialties
- Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
- Adolescent Medicine
Adolescent specialists are doctors who have advanced training in the health issues that adolescents face. These physicians deal with issues like the onset of puberty, reproductive health, eating disorders, irregular periods, mood changes, drugs and pressures from home and school. For girls entering adulthood, adolescent specialists can act as both pediatrician and gynecologist, so they only have to see one doctor for all their needs.
Dr. Patricia A Toups has the following 12 expertise
- Sleep Disorders
- Mental Illness
- Depressive Disorder
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Personality Disorder
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Mood Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder
Dr. Patricia A Toups has 2 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Patricia A Toups is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 6
Those that had negative experiences with Dr Toups probably did not give her an opportunity to to really help them. Yes, it takes a while to get an appt because she is in high demand. She does not rush a patient through the appt. She would rather have her patients leave her office safe, with a clear plan of action, than announce that time is up and have the patient or his/her parents leave with no idea of how to cope with a critical situation until the next appt. When my daughter's therapist left me hanging with no promise of even a return phone call, Dr Toups (although just our pharmaceutical Dr) took my calls, gave me detailed instructions on how to deal with school officials that didn't even want to help my child, AND found a highly rated, safe hospital to admit my child that night. Yes, it is annoying to wait a long time for an appt, but she'll be there when you need her - over and over again.
Toups is an excellent doctor. She's totally thorough and pro-active. I was working with another psychiatrist who closed her practice before I moved to Toups. Although I very much liked my old psychiatrist, I had absolutely no idea that the real aim of psychiatric medicine is to reduce or eliminate the symptoms of mental illness. Toups gave me hope that I didn't even realize I was missing.
Louisiana State University
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & Directions
Dr. Patricia A Toups is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Baton Rouge, LA.