Get the facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Paul C Helfgott
Dr. Paul C Helfgott, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Montebello, CA, with another office in Whittier, CA. He has 40 years of experience. His specialties include Neurology and Psychiatry. Dr. Helfgott is affiliated with Usc Keck Hospital, Beverly Hospital and St Jude Medical Center. He speaks English.
Dr. Paul C Helfgott has the following 2 specialties
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
- Migraine Disorder
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Migraine Disorders
- Nerve Conduction Studies
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 7
HORRIBLE!!!!! First of all didn't See Doctor until 6 months after initial call for appointment. When I finally seen doctor about my migraines without any MRI or any other tests he just tried to throw pills at the problem. I asked if I didn't need test done he said would it make you happy if I order you an MRI. My response was as a doctor shouldn't you figure out the problem? He's nothing but a pharmaceutical doctor. If you need a real neurological doctor don't see this one.
Dr Helfgott is four star and I would give him six if I could. I am a 15+ year patient. I sympathize with relatives and caregivers of patients with severe mental problems, but from a patient's point of view, I want a Doctor who sees ME as the patient. Dr. Helfgott is that person. I am a partially controlled epileptic without possibility of improvement.
When I asked if there was still swelling in my brothers brain Dr. Helfgott seemed to be appalled that I had the nerve to question him. He said his physical exam was the only test necessary to declare my brother brain dead and recommend taking him off all life support. He backs this up with his many years experience of treating people who do not wake up after the third day spend the rest of their lives like a vegetable. If that is true why does he wait 14 days to tell this to the family. My guess is more money in his pocket. The vegetable remark seems to imply a Persistent Vegetative State a diagnosis that is much to early to make, also brain dead and a Persistent Vegetative State are two completely different conditions. When another doctor from his practice came in with a test result that showed brain swelling he tested his reflexes and said his pupils were responsive, he said you have to give it time because he is still young so he has a chance at recovery. Bottom line: stay away from this doctor and all doctors in the same office. But if you are looking for PHYSICIAN ASSISTED SUICIDE then Dr. Helfgott is the man to see.
Dr. Helfgott was the only Dr. that took the time to evaluate my Mother completly.Unfortunately, the news was not good she had Alzheimers and Parkinson's but at least we finally knew what we were dealing with. This diagnose was confirmed by him spending about 40 minutes or so asking my Mom to do many different things and medical test. My Mom passed away in Jan. 2010 but I could never thank Dr. Helfgott enough for the answers and guidance he gave during her illness.I have referred other patients to him.
Dr. Helfgott is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
40 Years Experience
Boston University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1978
Lac Usc Medical Center
Dr. Paul C Helfgott accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
- Blue Cross CA Vivity
Blue Shield California
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net EPO - PureCare One Small Business
- Health Net PureCare HSP Individual and Family Plans
- Humana Choice POS
- UHC SignatureValue Flex1
- UHC SignatureValue Flex2
- UHC SignatureValue Flex3
- UHC SignatureValue Focus
- UHC West SignatureValue Alliance
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Dr. Paul C Helfgott is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Montebello, CA.