Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Paul V Luisada has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Paul V Luisada has the following 16 expertise
- Sleep Disorders
- Personality Disorder
- Mood Disorders
- Clinical Depression
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Kidney Disease
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Kidney Dialysis (Renal Dialysis)
- Depressive Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Mental Illness
Dr. Paul V Luisada has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Paul V Luisada is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 26
While it has been a few year since I was a patient of Dr. Luisada's, I would go to him without hesitation if I or family member ever needed help again. I have referred families I work with to him and suggested a friend take her seriously mentally ill son to him. I realize it's a small sample, but the five people I know personally who have gone to him for themselves or their child have nothing but good things to say about their experience with Dr. Luisada. I appreciate that not everyone would find a doctor to their liking; however, the negative reviews describe someone so completely the opposite of the compassionate, patient professional I knew that I find it incredible.
Because of their retirements and re-locations, I have seen a number of psychiatrists over the years. Dr. Luisada is certainly the best. Imagine a doctor's appointment that starts on time! He asks insightful questions and listens to your responses. Not once did I have a feeling that he was in a hurry. Because of my diabetes, I have a long list of meds. He was familiar with everything on the list and offered insights on how the diabetes meds might be affecting my mental health as well. I was indeed grateful that his first response was NOT to over-prescribe. Several years ago I was a zombie until I qualified for a 6-month study at NIMH, where the list was reduced to one med, with the prognosis that one would be added in a couple years, which happened. Dr. Luisada is in that school of proceeding with "informed caution." His practice is understandably full, but you would be well-served to be his patient.
Dr. Luisada is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
St Elizabeth Hospital
Dr. Paul V Luisada accepts the following insurance providers.
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
Locations & DirectionsPhobia & Obsessive Compulsive, 2616 Sherwood Hall Ln Ste 206, Alexandria, VA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Paul V Luisada in this video.
Dr. Paul V Luisada is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Alexandria, VA.