- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Gastric Cancer Facts about Gastric Cancer, including symptoms and treatment
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Peter J Karras MD
Dr. Peter J Karras, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Springfield, IL. He has 37 years of experience. His specialties include Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine. He speaks English.
Dr. Peter J Karras has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Peter J Karras has the following 10 expertise
- Celiac Disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Abdominal Pain
- Hepatitis C
Showing 3 of 3
Self-verified patient of Dr. Peter J Karras - Posted on March 4th, 2015
Self-verified patient of Dr. Peter J Karras - Posted on August 26th, 2013
My first colonoscopy with this doctor.........I've had dozens in my life due to taking 10 years to originally diagnose me. (other doctors) But, I've never gotten a pinched nerve after a colon exam before until this time. The pinched nerve was excruciating and lasted 7 weeks total (even went to the emergency room once for medication). This doctor refused to acknowledge side effects from the new meds he put me on also just like the other reviewer stated. And, would not even come close to acknowledging that the pinched nerve in my left front side (with the pain radiating into my hip) was from the colonoscopy. In a search for a different doctor not affiliated with Springfield Clinic.
Self-verified patient of Dr. Peter J Karras - Posted on January 31st, 2013
37 Years Experience
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1982
University Of Chicago Medicine
Dr. Peter J Karras Accepts the Following Insurance
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry HealthAmerica PPO
- Coventry PPO Platinum
- First Health PPO
- Health Alliance HMO/POS
- Health Alliance PPO
- HealthLink PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsSPRINGFIELD CLINIC, 1025 S 6th St, Springfield, IL
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Peter J Karras, MD - Gastroenterology in Springfield, IL, in this video.
Dr. Peter J Karras is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Springfield, IL.