Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Acne Important facts about acne and what causes it.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Peter G Sandwell has the following 2 specialties
- Adolescent Medicine
Adolescent specialists are doctors who have advanced training in the health issues that adolescents face. These physicians deal with issues like the onset of puberty, reproductive health, eating disorders, irregular periods, mood changes, drugs and pressures from home and school. For girls entering adulthood, adolescent specialists can act as both pediatrician and gynecologist, so they only have to see one doctor for all their needs.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
Dr. Peter G Sandwell has the following 11 expertise
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Substance Abuse
- Birth Control
- Depressive Disorder
- Eating Disorders
- Sleep Disorders
Showing 5 of 8
Dr. S is the first doctor to ever make me feel as if I had a voice. I feel as though I can learn to trust a Psychiatrist again, which is something I never thought I would do. Dr. S believes in many methods of healing, which is a plus for me. Prescribes meds ethically and responsibly, and not only listens to any concerns pertaining to treatment, but finds information on the spot and reads through it with you in order to answer questions thoroughly, which is Also a huge plus for me. I am very critical of psychiatrists due to a terrible experience I had almost 20 years ago. Thanks to Dr. S, and his patience and understanding, along with his calm, 'open' , and at times comical nature- I have the second chance at life that I always dreamed about but thought it was for 'other' people. This man doesn't make you feel like you're Sick...he just wants you to be Well. I owe him more than he'll ever know, and plan to see him as long as I need to.
I don't know how they work, but they work. By anyone else's standards, I'm not 'better'. However, these sessions have given me something I cannot describe. Every time my family and I (even when it's just my parents and I) have a session, I can FEEL the difference. Dr. Sandwell: you're a GENIUS.
I had the pleasure of sitting in on a session with my daughter with Dr. Sandwell. He took the time to listen and offered advice in a caring way. He is releasing a book sometime in May; the shortend name is "People Problems" and I can not wait to get my hands on it. I hope it will help in getting some insight into why we behave the way we do.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2014)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
On-Time Doctor Award (2014, 2015)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2015)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
18 Years Experience
University Of Pennsylvania School Of Medicine
Graduated in 2000
Dr. Peter G Sandwell accepts the following insurance providers.
- Anthem CT HMO BlueCare
- Anthem CT Pathway X Enhanced Ind HMO
- Anthem PPO Century Preferred CT
- Anthem Pathway X Ind PPO Direct Access CT
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Harvard Pilgrim ChoiceNet HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim ElevateHealth HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim PPO
Locations & Directions
Dr. Peter G Sandwell is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Torrington, CT.