Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Facts about carpal tunnel syndrome, including the causes and symptoms.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Fibromyalgia Facts about fibromyalgia, including the symptoms and conditions.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Gout Get the facts about gout, including the risk factors.
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Poonam R Somai has the following 2 specialties
A rheumatologist is a physician who has received extensive training in diagnosing and treating rheumatic conditions. Rheumatic conditions involve the joints, soft tissues, autoimmune system, vascular system, and connective tissues.
Some of the conditions that rheumatologists treat are rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, gout, sarcoidosis, vasculitis, and lupus. These are all conditions that involve a lot of pain and make mobility difficult. Rheumatologists use medications, such as analgesics, NSAIDs, steroids, DMARDs, infliximab, and adalimumab, as well as occupational therapy, in order to decrease pain and improve a patient's quality of life.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Poonam R Somai has the following 8 expertise
- Hip Osteoarthritis
- Osteoarthritis (Hand and Wrist)
- Rheumatic Diseases
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
Dr. Poonam R Somai has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 54
Dr. Somai stood in the doorway of the exam room and looked like she was in a hurry and this was an initial visit! She came in the exam room for a minute to check my fingers and that was about it. Let's just say she missed the boat on my diagnosis and I had to see another rheumatologist to get to the bottom of my issues. Don't waste your time or $$$
Dr.Somai sat on the bench part of the table, typed on her laptop, squeezed my wrists to check for inflammation, then prescribed several medications and left the room. She doesn't spend quality time with her patients and she brushes off serious pain. She's rude and keeps patients waiting. Time to seek a new doctor!
Dr. Somai is extremely thorough and has done more for me than my last rheumatologist who ignored my symptoms wanting me to see a psychiatrist because I wasn't "handling my diagnosis well". Dr. Somai has been wonderful and knows her field very well. I never have an issue with wait times and her staff is very attentive as well. If I call the office and leave a message, I get a call back from the receptionist almost immediately. I see how busy she is so I know how hard it is for her to take all of these calls plus call to remind me of my appointment and call me with my lab results. The physician assistant has been great as well. I drive almost an hour to see her every month and it's worth it!!!
17 Years Experience
Mahatma Gandhi Institute Of Medical Sciences
Graduated in 2001
Mclaren Regional Medical Center
Dr. Poonam R Somai accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS TN Blue Network E
- BCBS TN Blue Network S
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry PPO - TN
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana National POS
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsSaint Thomas Medical Group, 4230 Harding Pike Ste 400, Nashville, TN
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Poonam R Somai in this video.
Dr. Poonam R Somai is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Nashville, TN.